summer coy hunting?

gj

Do you have to do anything diff from late fall and winter hunting? Since I cant find p-dog hunters Im goiing c-dog hunting.Jerry M. I know you and curt are good at this so I had better see your advice here to, or Jerrys optima is goin to have a hex put on it!LOL! gj
www.moaammo.com

------------------

gj
I'm still interested in going out and popping some P-dogs with you, just have to catch up on work again for a week or 2.
smile.gif
Mike Paul

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Get out early. as soon as its light enough to shoot . call the draws, If you hear some howling at you , go in the direction the howl came from . a little at a time I.E. 100 yrds be real sneaky, and howl again . I have found this works real well .Heavy brush seems to be the place in hotter weather .I also like big open green pastures in the morning . or fresh cut alfalfa fields . later on when the corn get up they love the corn , its hard to call them out , but they will come to the edge to take a look . You will have very little time for a shot so have the gun up or on a Bi-Pod . Ill think some more on this and add if i think of sompthing . later jerry .

as the day moves on , call near water if possible You dont have to be real close , but it will help . I have the best luck in summer months with howlers , and pup in distress on a howler . Usually brings in male coyotes .

Good question. I would have to say that the most things remain the same in summer and winter but there are a few differences. Summer time calling will usually either be focused around denning areas or hunting areas where winter hunting is good just about anywhere you find coyotes. Another difference would be the sounds. I use more howling and pup distress calls in the summer and less rabbit sounds due to working with adults. I use more rabbit and bird type distress calls in the winter and less howling due to working with mature pups. Hope that helps. Wiley E

I've been holding off giving an answer to this one. I kept hoping some un-mentioned tips for summer calling would come to mind. Never happened. What those guys said about covers it. It is usually a more difficult time to call because you are primarily going to be dealing with mature call-resistant dogs by this time of year. Common distress sounds that worked last fall will largely go ignored in my area, this time of year. As was mentioned, howling and pup distress seems to work better than anything. I do notice the distress sounds still work at night this time of year though. This is a great time to call at night. June and July are my least favorite months for calling during the day. To be honest I don't call much this time of year anymore unless someone needs a favor. As Jerry said, for comforts sake, a guy needs to get out early. The sun comes up real early now so need to be in the field by 4:30- 5:00am. I usually resume calling around Sept 1 or even the end of Aug if it starts to cool off. The harvested fields have better visibility. Pups are getting to be more of a challenge to feed then. Mom & Dad are taking bigger risks hunting in the daylight, knocking off lambs. The sheep ranchers start calling about then. Pups start to respond to calling too. I like to give my favorite spots a rest this time of year. Otherwise a fella is just going to get them call shy for when fall and winter arrive. Anyway, I don't put much effort into calling right now unless someone needs a hand.

Later, Curt

Good one, I get up and try to hit the first stand before old man sun starts to come up, then I'll hunt till 8:00 or 9:00am and come home get more coffee and some food down my gut then screw around till the sun is going down, then I'll go out and hunt all night long or till I get tired and come home and thats about 1:30 to 2:00am, I feel its more easy at night when they don't care about coming out to free food to go
biggrin.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing http://predatormasters.com/jasongunroom.html
www.LostMountainHunts.com

I agree, get out as early as you can. I prefer at least a half hour before sunrise. When I get to my stand I give it about 15 min. to cool down, then start out with some challange howls. After about 10 min. if nothing shows up I will put out one more challange howl, followed by a couple barks from two different howler's, wait about 30 sec. and do some ki-yi's mixed with bark's.

Keep your eyes peeled and be readdy for a quick shot. Sometimes they will give you alot of time, but most of the time it is fast action. A decoy of a coyote is an extremly helpful tool right now, and will give you a few extra seconds.

If your lucky they will sit down in some cover and just watch. Keep a close eye out for these coyote's. They are extremly hard to spot if you don't see them come in.

I hope some of this helps with your upcoming hunt. Good luck buddy.
smile.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Back