Does a 14.5" barrel have to be permanently pinned anymore?

TexasTexas95

Ok, so after debating with a friend of mine about lower receiver markings on an AR, we naturally came across the subject of legal barrel lengths. He claims that since the expiration of the pointless "Brady bill" barrels of 14.5 inches with a flash hider, suppressor, or any barrel extension meeting the 16" mark DONT have to be permanently pinned to the barrel any longer. Regardless if this is in the Brady Bill or not, legislation currently states that any rifle must meet a 16" length or be considered a Short barreled rifle. Barrels with shorter barrel lengths could be had as long as a device was permanently attatched to a shorter barrel making it at least 16" overall. I already know that a tax stamp would allow for a SBR but what I don't know is if just anyone can have an unpinned 14.5" rifle meeting the 16" minimum requirement and still be legal? What is the point of permanently attatching a muzzle brake other than the obvious? Does it save lives? I ask all this because what happens if for instance I want a rifle with a 14.5" barrel and I want a 4" suppressor sometimes making it at least 18 inches which is well within the law? I say sometimes because sometimes I may just want a 14.5" barrel with a standard flash hider making it 16" still within the law.

Also, can anyone tell me what purpose the Brady Bill served to aid humanity? Did it make anyone money? Were we safer because of it? What effect if any, did this bill have on you?

Last edited:
Quote:but what I don't know is if just anyone can have an unpinned 14.5" rifle meeting the 16" minimum requirement and still be legal?

Barrel itself must be 16" total length, or you must have a tax stamp. It can have a permanently attatched fixture of some sort to make that length. But if that fixture is removeable, than it's not really a permanent 16" legal barrel is it?

Quote:What is the point of permanently attatching a muzzle brake other than the obvious? Does it save lives?

It keeps you out of prison.

Quote:I ask all this because what happens if for instance I want a rifle with a 14.5" barrel and I want a 4" suppressor sometimes making it at least 18"

In that case, you would either have to SBR the Rifle, or permanently attatch the Suppressor to the barrel. No way around it, Uncle Sugar will get your money or time.

Quote:Did it make anyone money?
Brady foundation for sure.

Quote:Were we safer because of it?
I believe it had little, if any effect. They still can't grasp the simple fact, that Criminals do not follow the Laws.
blink.gif

I believe it depends on what state you live in. Here in Illinois The flash hider is not part of the barrel. You must check Texas law. With all due respect to people here on the forum, I would ask elsewhere. The police might disagree with opinions expressed here. All I'm saying is cover your backside. It's better to be safe than sorry.

It's really very simple. Uncle Sam says you cannot have a barrel less than 16". Unless you jump through the proper hoops.

Here is a TacSol SBX barrel. Legal for anyone to own. It is a 12.5" barrel I believe. But it has a Permanently attatched shroud, to make it a 16" barrel. The shroud must be Permanently attatched to be legal. If the shroud was removeable, it would be considered an SBR. The exact same thing applies to any Rifle barrel under 16".

Does'nt matter what you use to get to 16" (i.e. flash hider, suppressor, shroud), it must be permanently attatched. Or you had better have the ATF's Blessing, just sayin.

gunpics252.jpg

I am tired of all the laws and regulations, so many I cant keep up, paired with rumors of changes to laws that continue to baffle me. I think police serve a purpose on alot of things like keeping society in check for minor offenses and to help keep some of the garbage off the streets. They're also the same people that enforce some real political beaurocratic BS that helps nobody and inconveniences good, God fearing, law abiding, down home, Americans. That my friend, is what gets to me. Please understand, I am not bashing police officers and I have several who are good friends of mine. Here is another question...What was the last law passed that helped you out, whats the last law that brought you convenience?

Trukreltrog, you have made some very valid points, my favorite being the point about them not grasping the fact that it is the criminals who do not follow the laws. If I were possibly able to fork up the money to afford a $200 tax stamp to buy a $400 suppressor to attatch to my $1500.00 gun, then I am sure I could scrounge up another $200 for the tax stamp to attatch the suppressor to a SBR if thats what I decided to do.

Last edited:
P Side, I reread your post and it seems as though I maybe had too much coffee before I responded to your post and I came down a little hard on you especially since now I really dont think you meant to tell me that the other people on here need to watch what they say because the police might be watching. Do you mean that I should check with a credible source before deciding to weild a gun with an unpinned flash hider? Whoops, I am retracting my previous post and I will save it for a later time. Sorry my friend, I am editing the majority of the above post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95 I think police serve a purpose on alot of things like keeping society in check for minor offenses and to help keep some of the garbage off the streets.

What, like speeding? Yes, the police do that. And who do you think keeps the vast majority of folks from committing "major" offenses? Maybe the police?

FWIW, I cant think of a single gun control law I'm in favor of (other than no felons), but your post begs further answers.

TexasTexas95 - The police enforce the beaurocratic laws passed by inept politicians because they have taken an oath to uphold the constitution of their country, state and or municipality, impartially and unequivocally. Whether the individual officer agrees with the law or not, they must enforce it as set forth in their oath. Discretion may play a part as to the enforcement action taken, so long as it is fair and impartial without bias, but never the less, does it supersede what is written in the code. I know your post was not aimed at law enforcement, but like I tell most people who decide to ride a police officer..."if you don't like the police, the next time someone steals you stuff or someone is breaking into your house..call a crack head."

Back