Caliber markings on lowers

Allstar

Do all lowers come marked with the caliber stamped on it or do some come plain? In case you wanted to build a rifle that wasn't .223/5.56. If so who makes them. Thanks

Some say 223 or 556 or multi or 6.8, I think something has to be there. Doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't say pistol. As I understand, if it's a pistol, you cannot put a buttstock on it and turn it into a rifle. Once a pistol, always a pistol. If you build a SBR, you'll have to get that engraved on the lower, but once you get the tax stamp for the SBR, you can have as many short uppers as you want, at least that's my understanding of the rules. It's still just one rifle. I don't know if you can legally put a 16" or longer barrel on a SBR lower.

Anyway, back to your original question, you can build a 6.8 upper on a 223 lower.

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70
Anyway, back to your original question, you can build a 6.8 upper on a 223 lower. Thanks, I knew they all interchanged. I understand why they have to be marked now.

Wait, I am pretty sure that if a lower is marked pistol, it can have a rifle stock on it legally, but as soon as it get's the rifle stock, it must also have at least a 16" barrel on it too, or it is an illegal SBR. You can have a pistol receiver extension and a short barrel if the lower is marked pistol. What I dont know though is whether or not you are allowed to have a lower marked in .223 multi cal turned into a pistol without the pistol designation stamped onto the lower unless it was a pistol with a 16" barrel (but who would want that?). Some lowers are marked .22 cal but it does not mean that they have to be paired with a designated .22 upper. Some places overseas I know do not allow any rifles above a .22 caliber. Since a gun is traced and recorded by the lower, a guy can have an AR in countries only allowing .22 rifles as long as his lower is stamped .22cal. Even if a guy has a dedicated .22 upper on a multi cal AR lower, his gun would be illegal because his lower was not stamped .22 cal. Does that make sense? All lowers come stamped with some specified designation like jlindholm said, it really just depends on what you plan on building around that particular lower that makes it legal or not.

I was just thinking if you built an AR with say a wssm upper and not having 223 stamped on the lower. I quess it would just be personal preference or maybe that's just not possible because of the laws.

Back