Biggest coyote?

bradmhendrickson

What's the biggest coyote you've shot or heard of? Just curious. My friend read an article saying eastern coyotes can get over 60 pounds. I didn't know they got that big. I would like to see one that big. We don't have yotes around here.

My dad killed one 51lbs. A member of my club (a houndsman) killed one 54lbs this year. My largest is 42lbs.
What part of PA are you from? Coyote are everywhere here in the northeast. I shot my first one in 1991 in front of our dogs.

Mybiggestcoyote.jpg

66lbs but there was one shot the year before about a mile from the same spot that went 72lbs

Originally Posted By: beaglerMy dad killed one 51lbs. A member of my club (a houndsman) killed one 54lbs this year. My largest is 42lbs.
What part of PA are you from? Coyote are everywhere here in the northeast. I shot my first one in 1991 in front of our dogs.

I'm in Chester county (southeast pa). Every once in a while I hear a story about one but I've yet to see one. Going to Bradford county Thursday for yotes. Friend has a dead calf in his field.

my grand father shot a 64 lb yote in the adirondacks a week later i shot 53 lb yote same area and 2 weeks later my brother shot a 58 lb yote same area
2 were shot deer hunting the one i shot after we were done deer hunting for the day
we were hunting in the adirondacks and i think they have some wolf mixed in with them as alot have came outta this area by us and other hunters with the majority tipping 45 lbs and more
ill see if my grandfather has pics but this was a few yrs ago befor i had a digital cam so he should still have the film around

coyote3.jpg

FarmCoyote002.jpg

First photo was a male but didn't get on the scale. The second was a female and it was 40.5 pounds. The male was bigger. Dan is over 6' tall. It was a good coyote, our best to date. The female is our biggest of them. Good coyotes for So. New Hampshire.

Highwaystar

They have a big hunt in NY. Last year I think there were almost 900 hunters. The biggest coyote for the 3 day event was ....46 -47 pounds. I think I'm pretty close on that number. Some guys here may know for certain.
I'm sure they get bigger but if you shoot one 40+ pounds it's a goody. 50+ you got a real hog. Over that.....you're in rarified territory.
Take a look at records online from organized coyote hunts/contests. You'll see that 45-50 lbs is a good coyote. I imagine that there are...strains or pockets where they get routinely bigger.

thats a monster as well
looks similar to the few we got up here in the adirondacks
like freebm said there prolly pockets where they get larger as i think we found one
where i hunt in the southern zone in ny its 3 hrs from where i hunt in the adirondacks
the biggest ive shot or seen in that area was just tipping 39 lbs
most in the low 30's
and thats only 3 hrs away

That one from Maine I bet has more Wolf in it than Coyote. There was a story here in Pgh, Pa, that all the coyotes shot here that DNA was taken, all had up to 25% wolf in it. Except for extreme parts of Western Pa where the coyotes have come from Ohio. Maybe the farther north, the more wolf in it. To look at the one though has so much wolf look in it.

here`s a few that were close to 60lbs. the biggest we`ve taken was 67 lbs, but i don`t have a pic. the 1st pic weights were 52 left and 57 on the right.

matt255.jpg

this yote weighed 59 lbs. i`m holding the yote, i`m 5`11 & 200 lbs.
coyotespic233-1.jpg

Back