Where to set up?

andrew

I have a large area that I know holds coyotes but I see all of them around a small, brushy draw. All the coyotes I have seen were on the same side and the rim of the draw and I have seen none of them down in it. Where would be the best place to set up a calling stand, down in it or out above it?

Andrew,
I would find a good vantage point above the head of the draw and set up there. Coyotes like to hunt the open area's during the night and hole up in those brushy draws during daytime. If you have electonic caller, I would set the call at head of said draw, hit the go button and beat feet cross-wind 50 yards or more to sit in wait. Hope this helps you.

Rich is correct as always. he . he . most of the coyotes i call in come out of draws . that is my best set up . if its real thick brush, look for the birds to announce the arrival , I had several last saturday come in in thick sage . all of them came up almost to the top of the rim i was on . two of them came in and then worked their way behind me. too bad for them i saw them come in , one looked right at me ,I sat still and waited for her to walk on by , then shot her in the back of the head . They will sneak in real slow most likely if it is thick . You might want to consider a shot gun ,Hope this helps Jerry .

If I can get down in a large bowl Ive found I spot them quicker as thy come into or break the skyline! But you need about 30-50 yards in all directions and 30yrd is a little tight! gj.
www.moaammo.com
------------------

[This message has been edited by gj (edited 06-27-2001).]

Back