PM Hunt Yote

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Gary Saurage and I went out to do a little calling this morning. Gary and I met here at PM, and he was kind enough to extend an invitation to hunt some his coyote rich calling country. Gary lives about 2 hours away, so I went down early last night and stayed at a buddy of mines house about 25 minutes away from Gary's. After getting up early I went and met Gary for the mornings hunt. It was cold with a little breeze to start the morning, but the the first 2 stands did not produce anything despite the fact that there was fresh sign everywhere. By 8:00 am the north wind had kicked up to 20-25 miles an hour. We made 4 more stands without seeing anything. Again, the sign was everywhere, but the wind was giving us fits. Gary was doing the calling with his new JS Prey Master call with a few hand calls thrown in. By the time we made our 7th stand, it seemed that the wind had died down a little. Gary started is calling and was mixing it up a little. After about 12 or 13 minutes, I had about given up. I glanced to my left for only a second and when I looked back to the shooting lane I had been watching there was a coyote broad side at about 60 yards. She had stepped out with her nose down and was walking across the lane. It took me a second to snap to because it was like "oh crap...Kaboom! With the slight recoil of the .243 NEF, and the fact that she had almost made it back into the brush, I lost site of her. I didn't know where she went, but Gary assured me she went right down. Sure enough, Bang-Flop. This was the first coyote that I have shot with my new NEF. I was using factory Hornady 58 gr. V-max's at 3750fps. Not fur friendly! I shot a little high due to the rushed shot, and the hole was the size of frisbee right in the top of the back. This was by far the biggest hole I have blown in anything using any caliber. I'm going to give them another chance to see it they continue to produce this type of carnage. If they do, I'll likely try a different bullet.

My thanks to Gary for a great hunt and hospitality. I hope to get to go on a few more hunts with him. I've offered to take him spring turkey hunting, and I hope he takes me up on it. The thing of it was, WE ONLY SCRATCHED THE SURFACE of his calling area. He is loaded with coyotes, at least until he thins the population down.

Gary and I both hope to meet a few more fellow predator hunters in the area and go on some hunts.
1-17-03Coyote-1.jpg

MeGaryYote.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go Yellowhammer.It is tough to hunt with all that wind.

I got the chance to call some in the Piney woods in East Texas last fall and it is a whole different ballgame than out here in West Texas.
I opted to hunt with a shotgun and managed to call in a tripple and take one of the 3.

Good luck on your future hunts and keep us informed on your successes or failures.

Great job man!
Does the .243 do a lot of damage to the pelts? The reason I ask is all I have is a .22mag and its little small. But my brother has a NEF.243 just like yours he never uses and i could easily borrow it. How bad does it destroy a fox? What load are you using? Thanks

PHILLIP

Good job of calling and shooting. That little 58 gr. V-Max loaded to 3,750 sounds like a pretty good prairie dog/groundhog load, but like you experienced sounds like it would be too explosive for saving hides. I can imagine it would probably tear a fox into several pieces. Thanks for the story and the picture.

Gary, I admire your generosity for sharing your hunting ground. Very nice gesture!!!

What Silverfox said...nice of you to share like that Gary. Glad you guys hooked up and had a good time.

Now where the heck is my invitation for some of dat East Texas Doggin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bobsocal,

Bob it would be my pleasure to have someone of your skill level on my hunting grounds. You just get here, I've got you a place to stay,eat and hunt. I started this venture of predator hunting seven weeks ago, since last sunday I have killed three coyotes called in two with mouth calls and one with new js prey master. So there is your invitation now we will all see if you take me up on it. P.S. I have not even begun to hunt all of my land. These predators don't even know what a call is. There still runnin over me to get to the call. Thanks to all at this web site, I'm havin a ball. Gary Saurage Email ssaurage@ih2000.net Let's do this.

Well thanks Gary for the kind words. I'm sure we'll fiqure something out, always wanted to hunt East Texas. The invitation is very kind of you. I need to see one of those orange coyotes:)....RanUtah said he shot a pink one once...but well..you know...those Utah boys believe in UFO's and probing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...j/k...really....I swear....RanUtah has never been probed.....I think.

His Servant- This was my first one with the NEF and a .243. Pelt damage was more than severe, it was extreme. I was using factory Hornady 58 gr. V-max ammo. If the damage I experienced was typical of this load, it would literally blow a fox in half. I want to see how it does on a couple of more before I change to a diffent bullet. I really like the nef as a light carry rifle.

Oh probed, you mean like the time you were in Globe by that male hooker? OH man, I wasn't suppose to tell. damm, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back