Finally!!! Loooong story and pics from 1-16-2003

Silverfox

It has been 14 days since I was last out calling. I had to get out of the house or go nuts!!! I drove out to my friend's ranch in Montana this morning. It was only -12º when I left Williston. I met with my friend and got some directions on where his land boundaries were and set out to call. He only has a little over a section of land, but it had some juicy looking draws. I called in two places and got no coyotes to come in. Then, in the 3rd place I was going to call, his nephew's big black dog was out running around on the prairie right where I was going to call. The dog was out chasing deer!!! I scouted around the area a little more and found some cougar tracks!!! I noticed some ATV tracks in the areas I walked into on his farm. I think the government trapper is still working that area. There were not many coyote tracks on my friend's land. However, I did see some cougar tracks in the snow. He did tell me that two cougars had killed three sheep on a neighbor’s ranch last week and told me to be careful. I’ll try to get permission to call from a few more land owners and maybe head out that way again some day.

I decided to leave Montana and head to North Dakota to call coyotes in more familiar territory. I drove west on a trail and parked my pickup out of sight behind an old abandoned farmstead. I walked in along a prairie trail to the south being careful to stay hidden from the territory I wanted to call. I worked my way to a little rise overlooking a big valley to the south and west and some rolling hills to the east. I set the FoxPro up on a fence post, aimed it SW into the wind, and got back to the NE of the e-caller about 40 yards on the top of a little knoll. I dialed in the woodpecker distress sound. The wind was maybe 5 mph at the most and out of the WSW with bright sunshine. I had made one real slow sweep with my eyes from ESE all the way around to the NW and was scanning back slowly to the SW again when I spotted a coyote about 1/2 mile to the SW of me heading in my way. I slowly moved the rifle around and when I looked back out to the SW I saw a second coyote cross the fence line and then a third one came after that one. The lead coyote was about 150+ yards ahead of the other two. It didn't look like I'd have a chance at a double unless I took a chance and let this first one come on by and waited for the other two. He came in fast and crossed the fence just on the west side of the prairie trail about 120 yards from my location. The other two coyotes were still coming, but this first one looked the biggest so I wanted to be sure I got at least this one--to heck with the double--I'll take the sure thing every time! He got to about 40 yards away from the e-caller (which I had turned off by now) and stopped, giving me a perfect 80 yard shot at the front of his chest between his front legs. He piled up in a heap! The 30 gr. Starke RPV did it's job again. I started to yelp with my voice, but the other two coyotes were running away. I switched the FoxPro to the Coyote Pup Distress sound and started that playing and one of the coyotes stopped, looked back, and started to come back in toward me. The other one just disappeared to the SW. The one that stopped and came back crossed the prairie trail about 300 yards south of me and was circling in a NE direction. I let the FoxPro play. The coyote was now ESE of me and heading to get the wind. I crawled over to the east side of the hill I was on, turned my scope up to 16x and got the coyote in the scope. I gave three sharp barks and the coyote stopped, I centered the crosshairs just behind his left front shoulder and squeezed off the shot. He was 200 yards away when I shot and as soon as the bullet hit he fell down, but got up and did about 5 or 6 death spins and fell over dead. The bullet did exit, but the hole was very small, smaller than a dime.

I gathered up my rifle and caller and walked back to the pickup and drove right up to the back side of the hill I had been on. Then I walked out and got the 2nd coyote. It was a small male. I had hit it a little higher than I thought I was aiming. I guess he was quite a bit below me as I was up on the little hill. I dragged him back up toward the pickup and hung him on the corner fence post. Then I walked down south and picked up the first coyote I shot. He was a pretty nice colored male and quite a bit bigger than the other one. I hung him up on the post too and snapped a bunch of pictures. The little male weighed 25 pounds and the bigger one weighed 31 pounds.

This first picture is of the little male. He had an ugly open sore on his front leg as you can see in this picture.

fcc4e82e.jpg

This next picture shows the Silverfox with the double he just bagged. Look real hard and you’ll see the Predator Master’s camo cap on Silver’s head!!!

fcc4e79e.jpg

The camo coveralls are brand new and this was the first time I had ever worn them. They got broken in real quick like! They are the Snow Shadow pattern from Cabelas and really quite warm. I wish they had some chest pockets on them. I may try to talk my wife into sewing on two chest pockets.

This next picture was taken from the hill I was laying on. It is a view to the SW. The big male coyote is circled and the fence post I had the FoxPro on is also circled. The black arrow at the top of the picture is pointing to where I first was the lead coyote. There is a rock pile there and also a little dry creek bed near there as well.

fcc4e5bb.jpg

I got those coyotes loaded and headed to the west on an old low maintenance road. I saw lots of coyote tracks and will go back there to do some calling. I wanted to get to a farmer’s place that had told me he hears coyotes howling nearly every night. I stopped in and he wasn't home, but his wife told me to go out there and get some coyotes!! I drove north of their house about 1/2 mile and then drove in on the summer fallow about 1/2 mile. I parked the pickup behind a hill and walked in to the west. I set the FoxPro up on a fence post about 70 yards from my shooting position. The wind was still from the WSW and I am forced to look right into the sun. I turned on the woodpecker sound again and in no time flat I spotted a large male coyote coming in from the west. He was on the south side of the fence line and when he got to about 200 yards out, he crossed under the fence and out into the summer fallow on the north side of the fence. I turned off the call and got the cross hairs on him. At about 150 yards out, he stopped and appeared to be looking right up at me. I'm sure he saw my shape because I was right at the horizon with nothing behind me but the clear blue sky. I'm sure I stuck out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately for him, I pulled the trigger on him right then and there because I didn't like his posture. He looked ready to bolt! I looked at my watch and it had been 2 minutes and 30 seconds since I turned on the FoxPro. That is quick service!!! I turned the dial on the FoxPro to Coyote Pup Distress and let that run for about 3 minutes. Then I turned it back to the woodpecker sound for another 3 minutes. I turned the caller off and waited about 5 more minutes. Nothing else appeared. I walked down and got the FoxPro off the fence post and then went to the coyote. It was a real nice colored male and was pretty good sized. I dragged him back to the pickup and took a few pictures before loading him up.

fcc4e8d3.jpg

He weighed 35 pounds when I got him home and hung him on the scale. I drove to the farmer’s house and he was home, so I showed him my three coyotes. He was impressed and said I could come out any time. It was about 5:00 p.m. so I quit and drove home! When I sell those coyotes, I should get enough money to buy a few gallons of gasoline.

It sure felt good to get out and commune with the coyotes again. Thanks for looking and reading!

Allright Silverfox! Looks like you had a very busy and exciting day. You are dealing with cold temps and here in New Mexico we are experiencing 60 degree weather, very unseasonable even for this state. Later!

Nice dogs there sliver, do you think that the open sore on him might be from a trap that he was stuck in or something? I have yet to even kill a coyote that alone a double!

Gee Silverfox, you sure make it sound easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All a guy has to do is PUSH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Unbelievable! I love these stories. Between you and Curt I look forward to more every day. 30+ lbs. is very big for a coyote in this area. Out of the 35 or 40 lifetime I've bagged, only 1 or 2 have made it up to 30. I also wore my Cabellas snow coveralls for the first time today, only I did'nt fare as well. I did find out I can come closer than anyone without connecting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Keep em comin at ya!

Brad

Another great story Silverfox.
I can't believe how bare the ground is that you call those dogs over. I would not even think to call over such bare areas. All of my calling is in areas with lots of sagebrush.
That is a nice looking rifle, from your story must be your .17. Sounds like you are getting excellent results with it. What brand of rifle is it.
Nice looking coyotes, great pics.

Thanks for all the nice comments fellows!

Coyotebuster--hard to tell what that sore is from. I'm no expert, but "trap" was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the sore. I wouldn't bet the farm on it though.

AHunter--the rifle has a Remington 700 BDL short action that has been trued. The barrel is a Lilja fluted SS barrel in .17 Remington. It is 26" long, has 4 grooves and a 1 in 9" twist. It shoots 20 gr. V-Max, 25 gr., and 30 gr. Starke RPV bullets with equal accuracy--1/2" or better from 100 yards. The stock is an HS Precision thumbhole stock that I did the camo job on myself.

Great story, photos & shootin' Silverfox!
How do you like your Foxpro? Have you had it long and does it work fine in the really cold weather?

Sorry for all the questions, but your photos are very impressive and I'm wondering what you have in the way of a camera?

Keep up the great shooting, that last coyote you shot looks like he's heavily furred, what a beauty!

Another GREAT story with great photos. It's you and Curt for sure. What sounds are in your Foxpro and what is your rifle setup, and twist rate? I just wish I was your good neighbor/ buddy.
What camera do you use?

(I was wondering if you went South for the winter)

There you go again leroy cleaning out all the coyotes so i can't come out there and hunt them anymore! You need to stop writing these stories i read them between classes and then i can't concentrate on school. Good job and keep after it. You and your damn doubles i'm never going to catch up to you on them if you keep up at this pace.
I would bet on the trap theory for the leg wound.
I have a tournament in Lamoure this weekend i will email you on how we do!

Way to go Silverfox. It looks like you had a good day. I am hoping to get out this weekend if the wind isn't too strong. Some friends parents have a ranch which hasn't been called so I am hoping the weather is ok.

CLB

Silverfox,
Great story telling along with the pictures. I have a question, if you were hunting alone, tell me how you set up to take those pictures? You keep writing stories like that and Outdoor Life
will be calling wanting you to write for them.....move over Jack O'Connor!

Hey Silver, youre as good with words as you are with that .17! Congrats on a great day afield /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Man it's gotta be fun huntin em with out all them pesky trees in the way!

royce reavley--The FoxPro works just great. However, there are days when it seems like the mouth calls work better. However, that could be because there are coyotes around when I use the mouth calls and none within hearing distance when I try the FoxPro. I have the 16 sound model with the remote. The remote is indispensible in my opinion. I will have had the FoxPro for 2 years this coming March.

The digital camera I use is a Kodak 4800. I bought it when they were putting out a new model and got quite a good price on it, plus a $100 rebate! It is a 3.1 megapixel camera with a 3x optical and 2x digital zoom. With what I know now, I would recommend getting a camera with more optical zoom like some of the Olympus cameras have--10x would not be too much in my opinion. I do like my compact flash card though. I can store 129 high quality (not the absolute highest quality, but the next step down) photos on that card. I usually only take 10 to 15 photos on an outing.

Yotecallr--my rifle is built on a Remington 700 BDL short action that has been trued. I had a 26" Lilja SS barrel with 4 grooves and a 1 in 9" twist installed on it. Camera is a Kodak 4800.

nd coyote killer--don't worry, there are still plenty of coyotes left out there for you to chase!!! Good luck in the Lamoure tourney this weekend. Are you taking a partner? If so is it the same guy you had with in Montana?

CLB--it sounds like we are in for some really high winds here to the south of you. I hope you don't get in on them. If you get some decent weather I hope you can get out there and bag some of those beautiful Canadian coyotes!

Merle--thanks for the kind words about the writing. I don't think any current writers have to worry about me. Their jobs aren't in jeopardy.

The photos were taken after I had called and shot the coyotes. I don't carry the camera with when I go in to call a spot. I drag the camera out after I'm done with the stand. Most of the time I have to drag the coyote/coyotes back to the pickup to take pictures. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive within 100 yards of where the first coyote was shot. I left both coyotes where I shot them and got the pickup and camera. I walked right up to the little male to take the photos and then got back up on the hill I called from and snapped the photo of the view from my shooting spot. I would not be shooting pictures while I had coyotes coming in. It would be nice, though to have a designated "picture taker" along to snap photos.

ANiteFright--about the only trees we have in many areas of NW North Dakota are telephone and powerline poles! It makes it a lot easier to see those coyotes and fox as they come in. The old heart can really start a rapid rhythm when you can see them coming from 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away!!! That gives you time to take a few good deep breaths and get your heart rhythm back to normal though too!! When I first started to call coyotes and fox I fogged up my scope several times with my heavy, rapid breathing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Awesome story and shooting there Silverfox.Them pictures sure do give your writting an added prespective on your hunting adventures.

I always look forward to your hunts and pictures.

I would kill a couple of coyotes for a double. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All I seem to be able to call in are singles,but I am not complaining.
I am counting my blessings one at a time.

Good Job Silverfox!!!!!....just cant get enough of your hunting stories!!!!...just wish i could tell you some good ones, but i aint got none.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ....but some time soon i will...i hope!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Shoot straight!!!!

Nice going Silverfox. Always enjoy the pictures of your "North Country". You are doing quite a job of proving the virtues of the .17 Rem to the nay sayers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

purdygood--you are right---just be happy you are calling in singles and continue to count your blessings one at a time! When you get 2 or 3 coming in at the same time, you have to make too many decisions--should I wait for the 2nd or 3rd one to get closer? should I take the first one? should I take the one farthest away and then shoot the one 2nd farthest away and then shoot the one that was closest but is now 500 yards away and running 900 miles an hour? Oooooooh---just too many decisions when you call in multiple coyotes. I like it though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif With singles, you can concentrate on just that one coyote, shoot it, and go on to your next stand! It's not always that simple though, is it???

tyote--you just hang in there and don't give up. You are going to have some excellent calling stories to tell us one of these days. Just make sure you take your camera with and take pictures. You need pictures to verify your kills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yellowhammer--That little .17 Remington continues to keep me happy. The little 25# male I shot at 200 yards was one of the first coyotes I've shot with the 30 gr. Starkes that had the bullet pass through. Not much hide damage, but WOW was there a lot of blood in my pickup box. Frozen cherry popsicle material!

Silverfox- The first rule is never get greedy. Or, like I always say, "A bird in the hand (or yote) is better than 2 in the bush".

But, so far I haven't had to worry about that. Hopefully, when it does, I can take my own advice.

Back