painting guns with nickel barrels

Jeff V

As you may have seen I purchased and H&R Tamer .410 shotgun. Cool looking little gun but Id rather have it camo'd out than black/shiny.

I plan on doing a quickie camo paint job on it with the krylon camo paint. If anyone can point me to any good threads for how to's that be great.

My main question is, do I have to do anything special to the nickel barrel prep wise or can I just scuff/paint?.

Thanks

Jeff

I'd just wipe it down with a good degreaser and spray it. Im sure you'll get 10 different ways to do it"right" but in the end its still a hunting rig and will be traeted as such.

Good Idea warpig. I really don't care if it needs a touch up every now and then. Now as far as covering things up, ill need to make sure no paint gets in the hammer, in the chamber by the extractor or in the muzzle end, anywhere else im missing? would it be better to just spray it fully assembled or should I take the barrel, stock, forend, and reciever all separately and hit them with the base coat before doing the camoing.

I have never seen a nickel plated barrel on a shotgun or even a rifle for that matter.
I find it difficult to believe that H&R would nickel plate a shotgun barrel?????????

Jack

here it is,
IMG00043.jpg

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tamer.asp

Quote:Here is a versatile, easy-to-handle shotgun with a high-density polymer stock and fore-end and matte-finish nickel receiver and barrel that can shrug off the worst that Mother Nature can hand out.

to me that means its a nickel barrel.

I would imagine that it's a nickel steel alloy, not plated.

Nickel steel alloy was the early equivalent to stainless, circa 1890s on.

Stainless has supplanted it for the most part. I seem to remember that it is actually more corrosion resistant than stainless, but that it is also much more elastic. Maybe because of that it was used more often for shotguns.

I have a very nice handmade Zoli 20 ga in nickel.

Back