Hunting in the fog?

northmoboy

It has been really foggy and misty here the last few days. It looks like it could continue a few more days. What are my chances of calling in a coyote, fox, or bobcat in early morning fog? I know it will depend on a lot of other factors but will predators be out moving in foggy conditions? Thanks for your input.

I think you call in just as many with fog as you do without. The trick is that you won't see the animals at 150 yards if visibility is only 100 yards.

Nate

They still gotta eat and the coyotes should be getting territorial with the breeding season kicking in so take along a shotgun and go kill some if you have time to go.

Coyote hunting lower right in this pic.
7f461842.jpg

Another coyote hunting.
a7537bc4.jpg

Breeding season differs between females. In central Iowa, it's at its peak. By the end of the 3rd wk in January. Some pr-up before, some later. Breading/mating season isn't etched in stone, like some believe.
Of course, their experts LOL! go figure
wink.gif

Last edited:
Hunting in western MO (Polo, MO) this past weekend as well and did not see a thing. Called for hours used different calls had out a Mojo Critter on one side of the stand in a draw and a quivering rabbit out in a field about 100yrds away. Had a Coyote call back in mid day but never came through. New to the sport so not allot of places to hunt yet. Not even the squirrels were out. I also had wondered if the fog made it a bust.

I went last night and had a couple howling to me and everything was going good until I heard one behind saying your busted. I tryed to shake her loose but it got dark on me.

This past saturday was foggy, but the yotes were moving great all day. Saw 2 different yotes coming from over 200yrds. I think it gives them confidence. Don't let the fog stop you.

its been really foggy here lately, but i've heard them howling every night though. i think if you use a shotgun, it could work to your advantage

Back