Favorite Predator Masters Cartridge!!! (EDITED TITLE)

I'd be surprised if ammo price figured in this at all. Most hunters are either using "hunting grade" off the shelf stuff or reloaded ammo. When it comes to either the price between the .223 and .22-250 is very small. Only time .223 is dramatically cheaper is with the crap, wanna-be milsurp stuff from overseas.

The .223 is a good round but I'd bet much of it's popularity comes for the guns and actions it's chambered in.

CB

The only reason I said price might make a difference is it seems most of the questions on PM from a lot of the new hunters is what caliber for coyote and the 2nd question seems to follow most times is which caliber is cheaper over bullet selection or so it seems. Comments seem to come from the more hunter knowlegable people. I still think price of ammo could make a difference and maybe not but I think it could.

Originally Posted By: howlingThe only reason I said price might make a difference is it seems most of the questions on PM from a lot of the new hunters is what caliber for coyote and the 2nd question seems to follow most times is which caliber is cheaper over bullet selection or so it seems. Comments seem to come from the more hunter knowlegable people. I still think price of ammo could make a difference and maybe not but I think it could.

i'd have to agree. for elk hunting i wouldn't use a .338 lapua or .30-378 because it's the best caliber. i just use a .270 because it's cheap and gets the job done. so a caliber that i can afford to shoot often would be my favorite.

I did a bunch of homework before buying my 223. I just seemed o be the perfect caliber. The 22-250 erally only gives you another 50 yards when you run the numbers. The big issue is the 22-250 prety much only comes in a 1 in 14 twist. The 223 is standard now in 1 in 9 and can be had all the way down to 1 in 7". That lets you shoot bullets up to 90gr and makes it a real long range gun or deer/wolf/cat/whatever gun. I even reviewed a bunch of videos on long range hits to see how i performed at those distances.

The bottom line is not only is it cheeper, it's more flexable and comes in more rifle choices.

.308 but I'm thinking about getting a bolt action .223 or .243 or 7mm08 - I kind of need something bigger than my 22 but not less than .308 in a bolt action rifle.

Originally Posted By: pcammoI think I have a new love. Going to need a bigger press though.

anzioannie.jpg

lol.gif
Thats too funny..

-Juan

Back