Does anyone have a TC Encore Pistol?

kshuntercb

Does anyone have a TC Encore Pistol? Do you like it? What caliber is it? I hear they offer them in .22-250. I've been looking for a new item for my collection and I have been thinking about a TC pistol. Might be good for hunting coyotes? I just dont hear them talked about too much and I never see them in gun shops. Anyone got one? Thanks for any feedback.

I had one and sold it last year. I had 2 barrels a 223 and a 243 win. I used the 243 for deer and if it was 200 yards it was dead. I killed a coyote with it while deer hunting and shot it around 150 yards and dropped the coyote fast. I miss it around deer season and might get another one.

Last edited:
I have one with .308 and 17 rem. barrels.I have killed alot of deer with the .308 barrel.I love mine,the .308 will buck a bit but it sure mows down the deer.

I own a T/C Encore Pro Hunter pistol. Stainless steel frame with a 12" blued .480 Ruger barrel. I mounted a Leupold 2X on it and love it!!

480Ruger1.jpg

I have loads from mild to wild for this and it shoots great. I would like to get a barrel in .223 or maybe a wildcat one day for predator hunting and easier shooting at the bench
grin.gif

I have 3 of the Contenders, the little brother to the Encore and love them. I have one set up with a .30 carbine barrel and with 90 grain reloads is a joy to shoot. With a red dot scope off the bench it will break clay targets at 100 yards very easily.

Check out the specialty pistols forum. those guys hunt with the encore all the time.

kshunterch, I have both encores and G2's in pistol calibers ranging from 22rfm to a ported 7mm08. the 223 with a 15" barrel is my go to pistol with a 2power pistol scope. getting familar to holding the scope far from your eye while hunting coyotes takes a little time to get use to. I was surprised to find the 2power scope more than enough for hunting. the simmons 2power scope has the shortest eye relief, something to consider when shooting from a sitting position with a stick as a guide. you will enjoy the challenge hunting with a pistol. spike

kshunterch, I have both encores and G2's in pistol calibers ranging from 22rfm to a ported 7mm08. the 223 with a 15" barrel is my go to pistol with a 2power pistol scope. getting familar to holding the scope far from your eye while hunting coyotes takes a little time to get use to. I was surprised to find the 2power scope more than enough for hunting. the simmons 2power scope has the shortest eye relief, something to consider when shooting from a sitting position with a stick as a guide. you will enjoy the challenge hunting with a pistol. spike

Yeah, thanks guys. I was going to ask about what power scope is good for them too. I've been in a lot of gun stores over the years and I just dont see them on the shelf used much if ever. Must be a good sign. Thanks for the feedback. I am think I am about ready to start shopping!

I have the Contender in 7TCU with a 2 power scope. The Contenders are limited in barrel choice. The Encores can handle higher pressures and are chambered in almost everything. Great single shot guns.

I have a Encore in .223 and other heavier calibers.

Just had the .223 out at the range yesterday. Terrific gun and with good handloads it'll put 5 shots inside of a golf ball sized circle all day long at 100. Even out to 200, it'll give anything that's the size of a coyote a serious case of cardiac distress.

But IMO shooting a handgun takes a lot more in the way of practice than most people think. When I'm at the range a lot of guys want to have a couple of shots so I generally let them. It's very, very rare for any one to shoot anything close to what this gun is capeable of even if they are good with a rifle. It's a different skill that requires practice.

Grouse

I have two of them one in 45-70 and another frame that is waiting for a custom barrel from http://www.bullberry.com/ in 44 mag. Here we are limited to straight wall cartridges for hunting deer. I have had a .308 barrel which was very pleasant to shoot the 45-70 is a beast but OHMYGOD its fun and quite deadly. I can think of several barrels I would really like to have for it. I have dual dovetail rings and a 1x Burris handgun scope and with heavy calibers I'd stay wiht a fixed power not a variable because they are stronger. This is a must have toy but there are several things one can do with these that will get you in trouble. The pistol frames are legal to convert to rifle or shotgun but rifle or shotgun frames are not legal to convert to pistol so initially buy the pistol frame. Pistol barrels are under 16 in and rifle barrels are longer than 16 in. There is a folding stock made for these and with the stock folded total length must exceed 26 inches so a guy can put a folding stock on and a 20 inch rifle barrel on and go to federal prison for having a short barrel under 26 inch long rifle. Also there is a part to extend the hammer to the sides - buy one it makes life easier for ten bucks. I think a light rifle caliber like .243 or .223 would be a hoot in one of these but you can get some serious smack down calibers - there was a youtube video of a guy shooting one in .416 Rigby - trust me you dont want anything stronger than a 45-70 its an evil beast.

Urimaginaryfrnd...I had an Encore with both calibers I bought a few years ago cheap in matte finish 243 and 223 and I sold the 223 because the 243 could do all and more than the 223 and was legal for deer hunting here in Indiana and this year I sold the 243 win. and now I wish I kept it. I have never seen a matte finish on the Encore the whole time I owned it. Seems we always sell our best weapons in search of a better one and I almost never find anything better...lol.

I am going to suggest something, I would go to a shop that has both the G2 and the encore in stock. I would then hold both for awhile and see if either one fits better in your hand.

I had an encore in .243 and I loved it, then I got my hands around the G2 and it just fit soooo much better.

Now, alot of the higher pressure chamberings are not going to be available, but i am for sure certain that you can find one that will kill coyotes and deer.

I shoot 22lr 22mag 22hornet 30-30 6.8spc 45/410 50ML it is also nice that all i have to do is flip a little lever on the hammer and I can go from rimfire to safe to centerfire

Good luck, you will have a ball with your handgun.

There are a lot of options re grip you can go from stock to Pachmayr to custom wood from Bullberry and if you can afford it I'll bet there is someone out there would would custom make some ivory grips for it so how it feels today and how it can feel with different grips is a bit abstract.
The Encore frame should be the stronger of the two but the bottom line is these are very fun pistols for target and hunting and way to slow for a carry gun in a gunfight unless you have a lot of distance between you.

Originally Posted By: kal52....is also nice that all i have to do is flip a little lever on the hammer and I can go from rimfire to safe to centerfire

The Encore has several options for shooting rimfire also. No switch to flip either
tt2.gif

I have an Encore in 260 Rem for deer. I shot a fox with it this year and it did good. You can get tons of different caliber barrels for them. I love this gun like no other gun I own.

DSC_5414-1.jpg

Back