What is a Habitat Electronic Stamp?

CowboyinIL

I just got my first hunting license. I thought all I needed was a resident hunting license but after I selected this item, it also suggested that I purchase a "Habitat Electronic Stamp". So, my question for all of you seasoned hunters out there is just what the heck is this for? When I did research in the state hunting guide, all I could find is this below and it is a little confusing and not very definitive to say the least. Google showed no results either. So if any of you guys know, please enlighten and educate me.

[color:#FFFF66]"To hunt or trap any species of wildlife protected by the
Wildlife Code. Habitat Stamps are not required to hunt
migratory waterfowl, coots and hand-reared toeclipped
mallards and hand-reared game birds on
licensed game breeding and hunting preserve areas as
well as hand-reared pheasants on Department-controlled
pheasant hunting areas. Hunters who purchased
a lifetime hunting license prior to 1993 are
exempt."[/color]

Thanks

Cowboy

Last edited:
Bottom line, you have to have one to be legal in IL. Just another way of taxing you, and supposedly the DNR gets the money. Fat chance in IL!

Your hunting licence is useless without it. The habitat stamp replaced the furbearer and pheasant stamps. You used to need a stamp for each, now it is one for both. It's kind of stupid you really, you can't shoot anything with just a hunting licence.

Thank you guys (Rifleman2, P Side, and CoyoteCommander) for taking the time to reply. Not a stimulating topic, but I really appreciate you taking the time to post. Very informative. I also found out it is a way for the our wasteful overspending on liberal projects State to charge / tax farmers / landowners to hunt on their own property.

Anyway, thanks a ton guys for helping me to understand.

Cowboy

Back