180 or 165 in a 300 Win Mag.?

Jeffcaldwell

Whats better? Loading 165's or 180grain bullets in a 300 Win Mag? I don't see much advantage in using 180's and they kick harder! What do you think?

For those Cali. black tails, you could use a 223....

What are we shooting at, what range are we shooting, and which bullet shoots better in the rifle..

These questions need answering before any thing els.

Regardless of whats being shot at a 165 grn. has almost as much energy down range as a 180 grn. The 165 flight path is very similar, the question is why put up with more recoil and from what I can see almost no gain. And yes the deer are tiny out here.

I would shoot 165's if they perform identical in accuracy and you typically engage inside of 300 yrds. That being said, I settled on 180 grn TSX for my Wby. I hunt in open country for mule deer and the ballistic advantage is worth the additional recoil.

I bought my 300 mag over 20 years ago mainly for elk. Knowing that, I started with 180gr Nosler Partitions. The gun shoots them so well I haven't had a need to try anything else in that gun. I have used that same load for everything from coyotes to elk. Key

Elk,, 180,200
Deer, 130-150

Depending on what data you look at, there is 150 to 200 lbs difference in energy at 600 yards.

If the 165 shoots realy good, use it.. If the 180 shoots way better, use it...

Sorry, I thought you were asking a question.

For all around deer/elk bullet, the 180 is the way to go for most. I would personally use a 200g AB and know I have enough to kill elk/deer out to 800-900 yards.

For antelope/deer the 165g is not a bad choice.

Bigger bullets are better for longer range.

Brasshound sorry if I snapped at you. Really.. I guess it boils down to shoot the one the rifle likes best. Here in cali we seem to have lots of people who are pack-en more gun than is needed and more than they can handle. I think the hardest things to kill we have out here are black bears and hogs, I use a 308 on both. That being said I'm helping a guy build a load for his 300 and he's just gotta have a 180 grn. Barnes X load for here and it don't make any sense.

wink.gif

Jeff, your correct, most hunters use more than is really needed.. I have seen those Black tails up close, was raised in northern Cali. We are all from some where. Ran away the first chance I got....
I remember when guys would ask me what size rifle I was toten. I would smile and say 300..... They would all spout off how great that caliber was, yada yada yada... Then I would snicker, and tell them 300 Savage.. I never had a shot over 100 yards that I recall, [beeep] I carried it more than I shot it..

If your buddy is using the 180 Barnes for Black tail, Holly cow... Barnes is known for the ability to use smaller, lighter bullets, and provide big bullet performance.

So, what part of Cal is your buddy hunting, not many places that need lots of reach there.. Again, I am only assuming he is only hunting in Cali...

257 Weatherby and 100 grain Barnes is good medicine too..

Good luck Jeff

Brasshound.

I have never got to hunt elk but for deer I have never used more that a 100 grain bullet and have never had to track one down either they were all DRT. And none needed a second shot either.
25-06 87 grain
6.5x55 85 grain
264 win mag 100 BT's
243 70 grain
270 wsm 90 grain

Last edited:
That 180 barnes is a deadly and accurate choice for a 300 win. The 300's seem to like the 180's the best I have shot them for years. If recoil is the prob put a brake on it. I don't hunt deer with my 300 only elk they make a mess of venison, What is your friend hunting? Have fun and good luck

I have found that my .300 win mag, 300 ultra mag, and 300 wsm seem to like the 180 grain bullets better. The .308 and 30-06 seem to do better with the 165 and 150s.

Back