Best harris bipod for predator hunting?

Yoteblasterz

I am not a fan of the shooting sticks and would like to get another harris bipod that can stay on my gun. Which model do you prefer? I want something that swivels, and also adjusts for sitting, kneeling, and prone shooting positions.

Thoughts?

I use the 27" model on both my rifles. It makes my 204 end heavy when carrying it with the strap but works good for prone shooting to sitting on your bum!! I am only 5'8" and sitting is perfect. This one will allow the gun to roll left or right. On my 300 its the solid model but still is perfect for sitting or prone. Like I said earlier, the bipod I have makes the lighter gun barrel-heavy, but then again, what are you carrying it for?! Shoot, man, shoot!!!

I prefer the longer model because it allows me to clear the brush where I hunt when it's extended but is still manageable shooting prone. I guess it kind of depends on the terrain. I agree with pasturepup though, it does make my tikka a little barrel heavy, but I don't take many off hand shots at coyotes.

I have a 13-23" Caldwell and it works pretty good, im kind of up in the air about what I like better the bipod or the Stoney Point Stix i just picked up. If i was to do it again I would have bought the 27" Harris bipod, 4 more inches would be better for shoot of the knees.

Iv never been a big fan of sticks either, but my kids got me a new Primos trigger shooting stick and I really like it. I still have my Harris on the 22-250 Savage Bull Bbl. I have used the Primos sticks with my .17HMR, and works ok.

Does anyone use a camera tripod with the hunting plug/rest that mounts in place of a camera? The head swivels. Not great for moving around because of weight but it should work in a stand. I haven't had an occasion to use it yet.

Why don't you like shooting sticks? When I first started out coyote hunting I had the long Harris bipods on my two calling guns. They often hurt me as much as they helped

There are three reasons bipods are not as good as shooting stick IMHO.
1. When the coyote come into the side of you on uneven ground, the bipod gets in your way making it hard to get on the coyote. Maybe this would not be as big of a problem in MO because it is flatter than Utah where I hunt.

2. When the coyote comes close and you have to stand up for the shot and you need to swing on the coyote, they get in the way with brush. With bipods you just leave them on the ground.

3. They are far less adjustable than shooting sticks and are slow to adjust. I like the speed of bipods.

What bipods have you used?

+1 on the trigger stick

Originally Posted By: SalemDawgerWhy don't you like shooting sticks? When I first started out coyote hunting I had the long Harris bipods on my two calling guns. They often hurt me as much as they helped

There are three reasons bipods are not as good as shooting stick IMHO.
1. When the coyote come into the side of you on uneven ground, the bipod gets in your way making it hard to get on the coyote. Maybe this would not be as big of a problem in MO because it is flatter than Utah where I hunt.

2. When the coyote comes close and you have to stand up for the shot and you need to swing on the coyote, they get in the way with brush. With bipods you just leave them on the ground.

3. They are far less adjustable than shooting sticks and are slow to adjust. I like the speed of bipods.

What bipods have you used?

+1 on the trigger stick

keep in mind they are hunting totally different terrain than we are, we are hunting normally off the side of a slight hill or rise, typically in sage brush, a bipod will get hung up on this and not be able to adjust for elevation or to one side or the other very well at all, however if the ground was fairly flat and there wasn't sage brush a harris bi pod might be better. for me the stoney point pole cat works great, its got fatter feet at the bottom so it doesn't sink in soft dirt or mud. just a slip of my fingers under it will lift the rifle and adjust to about any angle a coyote can come in from.

If you do get a Harris bipod, make sure it has the swivel function. No bipod is perfect for every condition. I also use the Stoney Point Rapid bipod. It's probably more functional then the Harris as far as use in the field (more 'flex' ability), but isn't permanently attached to your rifle.

More importantly...do rag gotta go homeboy!

Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy im kind of up in the air about what I like better the bipod or the Stoney Point Stix i just picked up.

Those are worthless in my opinion. The tips get stuck in the mud, and they are connected to the bungee cord that keeps them all together. As you go to pick them up they love to get stuck and then come flying at you. I have a set and I plan to remove the bungee cord, and glue the feet and 3 sections together.

Originally Posted By: CZ453Does anyone use a camera tripod with the hunting plug/rest that mounts in place of a camera? The head swivels. Not great for moving around because of weight but it should work in a stand. I haven't had an occasion to use it yet.

Most good pods use the same 1/4" #20 machine screw setup. All of my camera pods and hunting pods work together but my camera stuff is a lot heavier than I would want to use for hunting.

I too prefer the tallest swivel Harris. I always have the gun at my shoulder while calling. Alot less movement involved to prepare for the shot. Hopefully, you're pointed in the right general direction.
grin.gif

[/quote]

keep in mind they are hunting totally different terrain than we are, we are hunting normally off the side of a slight hill or rise, typically in sage brush, a bipod will get hung up on this and not be able to adjust for elevation or to one side or the other very well at all, however if the ground was fairly flat and there wasn't sage brush a harris bi pod might be better. for me the stoney point pole cat works great, its got fatter feet at the bottom so it doesn't sink in soft dirt or mud. just a slip of my fingers under it will lift the rifle and adjust to about any angle a coyote can come in from. [/quote]

good point, I guess I really did not think of that.

Well I went for the 13-27 and its a bit too tall for prone shooting, and fully extended its too tall for sitting too (im 5'10"). I think I am going to send it back to midway and try the 12-25. Seems like that might be perfect, and might keep me from having to "fine tune" the thing down to be a couple inches shorter when sitting...

Thanks everyone!

Back