Buker Comes to Texas

Randy Watson

Randy Buker and his pal, Mike came down to hunt a couple of nights...first night was real windy and kinda' slow,
fcdce09c.jpg

then, Sunday night was better.....
fcdce095.jpg

The Cat on the end went 33 #s...
fcdce097.jpg

I really enjoyed hunting with Randy and Mike...hope they'll be back...

They are all smiles, and nothing else says what a smile can say. Somebody on that truck is a good shooter, to nail that many nice greys in a night. Nice job as always Randy.

Hey all,

I just walked in the door and I'm shot. That Watson character kept me up half the night while I was down there and I just finished up 25 hours of sitting on my butt. I'm going to take my tired body to bed. I'll post more when I wake up!

Randy

Glad you made it back Randy...you guys looked like ya'll had had enough Monday morning at 5:30. I was worried, but as pumped as ya'll were, I knew you'd be ok...come back down soon..I really enjoyed hunting with ya'll...btw, the eyes will go back to normal, and the red will leave in a couple of days..see ya'pal...Randy

Guys,

I don't want to go into great detail here because if I did, this post would me a mile long and the administrators would be crying about server space or some such thing. So, I'll give you the abbreviated version of my hunt with Randy Watson and his partner, Mike.

My buddy, Mike (yeah, I know, Randy and Mike hunting with Randy and Mike got a tad confusing.) and I got down there early on Sat morning after a twenty two hour drive from Southern Minnesota. Randy put us up in an apartment that is attached to his home. Very nice digs by the way!

That afternoon, after a short nap, we went to an area ranch and began to call after the sun went down.

The first thing you have to know is that neither my buddy, Mike nor I have ever shot a bobcat and we had high hopes of getting down there and at least getting a shot at a bobcat.

Randy and Mike have a slick set up for this night hunting thing. Very comfortable and very functional.

On the second stand of the night, I spotted eyes approaching and saw a bobcat. I shot and got it. On the second stand of the trip my mission was already a success. A couple of stands later, my buddy Mike nailed his cat too. So, the first two animals to die were our quested cats.

The rest of the first night brought an assortment of unidentified eyes that never came in and quite a few grey foxes.

The second night was even better. I got two more cats and Mike got one more. We ended up killing five cats in TWO NIGHTS! I couldn't believe it. The greys were a hoot to watch come to the call.

With the number of animals we saw, I was certain that this had to be a rare and successful night. Randy assured me that it was good but nothing more than average.

Here's the bottom line. Hunting wtih Randy and Mike was like hunting with long time friends. The target rich environment where we went was nothing less than spectacular. I've been at this predator hunting game a long, long time and this is far and away the most action I have ever had on a predator hunt.

If I wasn't still so damned tired, I'd hold up both thumbs!

Thanks Randy and Mike!

Randy

Redfeather,

All of those animals except two were shot with the .17rem. One bobcat and one grey fox were gunned down with a 12gauge shotgun. The .17 did a very nice job on all the animals facing us (as most are when hunting with a light apparently). The greys that came in hard and close and took the 25gr bullet broadside didn't fare as well. There were some nasty exit wounds. One of the cats was killed with the .17rem at 10 yards. Nasty exit.

But, I keep thinking how nasty it would have been with anything bigger.

I just got done skinning all those critters. That fur sure comes off those cats and foxes easy. Much easier than a coyote or even a red.

Randy

Watson, Sounds like you may have another Randy and Mike there real soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

P.S. And were better looking too and you know Mike, he kinda has that LA thing kinda happening.

Ummm, better looking? Hrrrmph.

And, I doubt that LA thing is going to go very far in texas.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

R. Buker, great story and congrats on getting more than one cat.

Interesting information with the .17 on night shooting. Don't think I've read of anyone using the .17 night hunting before in this forum.

Good job Randy Watson....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

WOW!

Randy Watson, Do you take money for this, or just friends? I am driving out to Missouri from VA to shoot coyotes in the next couple of weeks, if you're not booked, I could drive alittle farther.

catrunr@aol.com

Randy, did you guys see any coyotes while hunting or were you concentrating on the cat areas more? That is fantastic success. Any time you can knock down that many animals in a couple of nights every thing must have been clicking. Also how do the grays respond to the call? Do they offer many standing shots or are they bouncing all over the place? I have heard it both ways.

Anyway, great job and good hunting.

Q,

Q,
Our area is unique, in that we have areas that hold mostly cats and fox, and others where there are no fox, and an abundance of coyotes. The fox are funny, I sometimes have to do some wierd stuff to stop them for a shot, but usually can get them to. Buker filmed one walking around the truck within 3 ft. He circled back and forth, looking (smelling) for the rat he just knew was there.I even talked to him out loud one time. I told Randy to shotgun him,(Mike was in the chair), he said, he wanted to film him. The fox gave up and walked away, as he left I stopped him for one last look...good buy, Mike got him from the chair. It was a blast. Randy

Back