M4 flat top rear sight options & optics

Humdinger

Shooters,

I'm considering picking up a 16" M4 style flat top upper that has the tall traditional front sight. I love the iron sights on AR's and this will be a plinker/HD/camp gun and occasional close range hunting gun.
I have looked at DPMS and they have a low-rail rear sight that allows optics mounting in-line with the rear sight and they also have a taller version too. My goal is to mount a red dot (inexpensive one for now) or a 1x4 scope and want the dot or cross hairs above the front sight a bit. Which one does this?
Got any opinions/suggestions/picture to inspire me? Or should I just get a picitanny front gas block and get use my armalite one peice scope mount and buy a armalite removable front & rear handle sight kit? Budget is a concern too.

Thanks for the input.
H

For what you're describing, I think you'd be better off using a setup for "cowitness". Mounting a sight (especially magnified optic) high enough to get it completely above your front sight would render it basically useless IMO.

I've handled some carbines set up for cowitness and it's SLICK. If your batteries die, red dot craps out, you flip up your back iron sight and sight through your red dot and you're back in business.

Stormking,
This is what I am considering (pasted catalog description below) I think "coaxial line of sight" means it will be in-line and the rear sight is always there and not flipped down. Did the "cowitness" have a fixed front sight and not a flip up model?
H

Triple Low Rail Detachable Rear Sight
Model: RS-LR
Sale Price: $99.99

Description
A combination of a Tri-Rise riser with a rear A2 adjustable sight assembly. Featuring Picatinny style rails on the top, left and right of the riser. This allows you to attach an optic to the top of the rail to be in coaxial line of sight with the rear sight assembly and also allows you to attach other rail-mounted accessories to the side of the riser.

I agree the coaxial means it will "cowitness" w/ you iron sights. The one I looked at had a standard front sight base (fixed). The cool part was that when the red dot (an Eotech) was on, the dot set right atop the front sight post. The rear sight was a flip up. I didn't pay close enough attention to see if a fixed rear sight would still allow a good sight picture for the red dot.

CoWitness
SD530019.jpg

Rear Sight Folded Down

SD530020.jpg

Gabe

Gabe,
That is what I want! Sweet low light rig for those "chip shots" around the farm-home place.
What is your setup? My budget isnt quite ready for a Eotech yet, but I can get the base right.
Got a side view picture?
H

Originally Posted By: HumdingerGabe,
That is what I want! Sweet low light rig for those "chip shots" around the farm-home place.
What is your setup? My budget isnt quite ready for a Eotech yet, but I can get the base right.
Got a side view picture?
H

Bushmaster, Eotech 512 AA batteries. Flip up rear sight and removable front sight. What do you mean by the base the flattop upper receiver?
SD530014.jpg

Gabe

I thought that may be a special base or adapter you put on top of the flattop upper, but the Eotech is setup at the proper height already.
If it was a special base, I would get that first and save up for the EOtech later.
Not many places have a good selection of AR stuff to look at so I rely on the guys here to help me figure out what I need.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: HumdingerI thought that may be a special base or adapter you put on top of the flattop upper, but the Eotech is setup at the proper height already.
If it was a special base, I would get that first and save up for the EOtech later.
Not many places have a good selection of AR stuff to look at so I rely on the guys here to help me figure out what I need.
Thanks.

No problem buddy good luck.

Gabe

I think the heigth diff you are seeing in the rear sights is probably a stand up rear vs. a flip up rear.
I run a 552 EoWreck with a fixed front (standard tower) and a LaRue stand up same plane aperature rear. This gives cowitness with no base under the Eo, many folks prefer to use a base under the Eo to raise the dot slightly above cowitness as they find the reticle somewhat busy with the front post, the red dot and the rear aperature all in the same place, I don't have a problem with this and prefer 100% cowitness.

Back