Opinions on kimber 84m

ontario_caller

Well i am shopping for a new rifle.
Currantly i own remington,savage,ruger and cz rifles.
I am taking a serious look at the kimber model 84m.
The three choices are an 84m classic in .243,an 84m classic stainless in .243 or an 84m longmaster in .223 the later being my first choice.
This post has nothing to do with caliber of choice or which 84m model for that matter as i will make the final choice regarding that but rather your opinions on kimber 84m quality etc.
I have no first hand knowledge of kimber rifles nor do i know anyone that has one or has had one.
I do know that i like the looks ,lines and feel of all three rifles and am seriously thinking about buying one.
So for those of you that own or have owned kimber model 84 rifles what are your opinions pros and cons on this rifle.
I want to hear anything that those with knowledge have about this rifle,good or bad.
Your genuine feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cliff

Last edited:
I have never owned one but was about to buy one couple years back and did a bunch of research and found that there have been complaints about the stainless barrels being rough once in a while. I would not take this to the bank though. If you look there is currently a thread about a suspicious Kimber. I bet you can find the vast majority of them are excellent, just like any rifle that is mass produced you get a less than perfect one every once in a while. I have bought many rifles and some of the best brands I have had to have warranty work on. If you look Kimber has also won many awards so they are doing something right.

Last edited:
tt2.gif
You can't trust the Motivation Team guys, they'll do anything to talk you out of your ONLY cow horn howler while you are miles from home in Idaho!!!
Carl

I have the Pro-Varmint in 22-250 and I really like it. It shoots pretty much everything sub moa and with a little load developement Ive got it down to half moa with a few different loads. The only problem ive had with it is that it does not always eject spent hulls properly, sometimes it will flip'em around backwards and they land back in the magazine. Overall this is one of those guns Ill probably never get rid of.

Kimbers seem to be a brand that people seem to either love or hate.

Last year I acquired a new Kimber 8400 Super America in 325 WSM. Overall wood and bluing finish is excellent, rifle is light weight, handles well and the stock design is about the best I've shot for comfort and minimizing recoil. For a price tag of $2300 one would expect as much. I liked the Super America so well that I thought I'd have to have a Kimber 84M Montana or Custom Select model.

After looking at 6-7 brand new 84M Montana's and Classics I was terribly disappointed and my overall opinion of Kimber rifles has greatly dimished. I found problems with every one of them. Almost all had terrible triggers with creep, several had barrels off to one side or the other in the stock barrel channel, one barrel was rubbing on the stock and wasn't free floated, 2 of 3 Montana's had rust in the barrels and one classic had a problem with the bolt and safety. My impression is Kimbers QC leaves a lot to be desired especially for their cost. While I do not have any accuracy issues with mine I've read quite a few posts from people who owned Kimbers that didn't shoot worth a darn.

I got a heck of a deal on my Super America and am pretty happy with it but with all the QC issues I've personally seen on brand new Montana's and Classic's (which aren't cheap!) I seriously doubt I'd own another Kimber rifle. I'm sticking with Tikka & Sako for rifles.

Back