17 hmr scope

sam84

I know there have been a more than a couple posts on this topic but I dont want to spend what little money I do have to spend on garbage. I just bout my savage 17 hmr w/bull barrel and dont know what to put on it. I have read so many forums and opinions this week I keep getting turned around once I think I have a decision. I am going to be hunting with this gun, coyote and other varmints. So I want to know between the... Mueller APV 4.5-14x40, or the simmons wtc, bushnell banner, or a sightron s1. I really need help, so thanks for anything. Sorry to beat a dead horse but Im just trying to get the most for what I can afford. Price point is under 150.

I appreciate it. I plan to get out as soon as get the glass on in and try it out on some varmints. I will check out that weaver.

I've got a tack driving Savage bull 17HMR too. I wouldn't worry about getting anything over 10X, unless you just really want to see the fly's eye before you shoot it. 150 yards is a loooong shot in my opinion with a 17HMR. I've killed a yote with mine at 75 yards. Head shot. I shot another yote at about 40 yards through the shoulder. He ran 50 yards through the woods before piling up and never bled a drop. I've killed crows near 150 yards. I have a BSA on mine and would NOT recommend one. It would be nice to have some sort of BDC type reticle in a scope for the 17. They start nosediving past about 110 yards.

I heard that they do start dropping after 110 -150. Went to dicks today to look at what they had to order. I dont want to have to return anything by mail through amazon or another website. Just easier through a store, they pay for return shipping and everything. Dont know still which scope to get, weaver 40/44, sitron s1, or bushnell banner, or nikon prostaff. Im going crazy trying to pick one. too many opinions about them.

I have five(5) Simmons WTC 6.5-20X w/honking big adjustable objective and granite finish...and like them. I also have a Mueller APV 4.5-14X.

I have other better scopes however for the money both these represent good value to me and are in your price range.

To your point I have a WTC on my CZ 452 Varmint in .17HMR..and prairie dogs HATE it..and an APV on a Savage also in .17HMR and they are not too fond of it, LOL.

I have a 3X9 Burris on my 452 American, I had a 3.5X10 WTC a few years back and it was a descent scope for the money, I have also had fair luck with the Bushnell Trophy series(seen a 6X18 in the classifieds recently very reasonably priced) if I were to buy a scope I would order it through the wholesalers online..so much cheaper that way unless you can stumble upon a deal in one of your local shops.

....just put a Mueller APV 4X14X40 on my savage HMR and LOVE it..($97.50 at a local Dunhams sports)...A big step up in clarity from the 3X9 Simmons it came with......

had a banner on mine for a while and put my nikon prostaff on it. makes a difference on the 100 yard shots. the banner was ok but the nikon hold its zero and made it dead on at 100. Jeff

I think I have made a decision on a scope, not 100% but close. I think I am going Nikon Prostaff with an illuminated reticle. The only other ones I am still debating on are the weaver or Sightron. I just want to know if it is worth getting the illuminated reticle for coyote/varmint hunting. I will be ordering whichever I choose this weekend.

Originally Posted By: sam84I know there have been a more than a couple posts on this topic but I dont want to spend what little money I do have to spend on garbage. I just bout my savage 17 hmr w/bull barrel and dont know what to put on it. I have read so many forums and opinions this week I keep getting turned around once I think I have a decision. I am going to be hunting with this gun, coyote and other varmints. So I want to know between the... Mueller APV 4.5-14x40, or the simmons wtc, bushnell banner, or a sightron s1. I really need help, so thanks for anything. Sorry to beat a dead horse but Im just trying to get the most for what I can afford. Price point is under 150. Shooting coyotes... Come on dude, don't be ignorant!
confused.gif

[\quote] Shooting coyotes... Come on dude, don't be ignorant!
confused.gif
[/quote]

Hey man, I didn't come on here to get your negative comments on what I am using, I just asked about a scope for MY gear. If you don't have any input on my questions that I ask them don't post on my topic page. Where I live you can only use rimfire, 22 and under or shotgun, on the WMAs here. I already have a .22 and a 7mm mag for hunting else where.

Last edited:
I have a great shooting Savage as well. I put a Sweet 17 on it when I first got it but BSA scopes are freaking garbage. I have been looking at the Leupold rimfire series and the Pride Fowler among others. I will be upgrading mine very soon.
I am leaning towards the Leupold but I do not want anything with too high of magnification, 2x7 would be perfect.

I don't see a problem with whacking yote's with a .17hmr. I have killed a couple with mine but all have been headshots inside of 100yds. As long as you know your rifle then you can understand your limitations.

I finally went and picked one out, I got the nikon prostaff 3-9x40 w/BDC. I am going to mount it sometime this weekend and see how it does.

Nice selection. To koh i had a bsa sweet 17 scope on mine too. I thought the glass was very clear for a $60 scope on sale. However, they ARE garbage because if you don't get it sighted in correctly the first time, the allen wrench screws strip out. I don't want to even mess with it now.

Originally Posted By: sam84I finally went and picked one out, I got the nikon prostaff 3-9x40 w/BDC. I am going to mount it sometime this weekend and see how it does.

I use a couple of Nikon's with their BDC on my inline muzzleloaders. They work great and the glass is better then I had expected.

Originally Posted By: joshk1234Nice selection. To koh i had a bsa sweet 17 scope on mine too. I thought the glass was very clear for a $60 scope on sale. However, they ARE garbage because if you don't get it sighted in correctly the first time, the allen wrench screws strip out. I don't want to even mess with it now.

I will never buy a cheap scope ever again. I always tell other people that you get what you pay for and got a taste of my own medicine. The scope does work as advertised with the drop compensation turrets but around here it is way to windy to any kind of long range shooting with any type of rimfire. The other thing it does is fog up quickly when the temperature changes.

Back