Coyote Male Challenge Scream???

cawilson82

I went and called a spot late this afternoon with close to a mile hike to a stand. I played your typical critter distress sound and after about thirty minutes of calling and waitin i hit the kiyi. hit some more distress after a few minutes and waited with complete silence for about fifteen more minutes with just ten minutes of light left i throw out the female invitation. nothing happens it gets to dark to really see so i had back to the truck. after walking about 800 yards i hear this sound. i once heard it on foxpro's website and thought it to be pretty ridiculous but recognized it immediately. i bust out my call and hit the challenge howl and this coyote comes unfreaking glued. and keeps doin this SCREAM at me. I'm thinking any second he's gonna be in my lap but he never get's closer than a couple hundred yards. My question is what triggered him to scream at me in the first place and what is the best way to approach callin this place in a couple of weeks?

its most likely a male who thought a pair of coyotes breeding or fighting in his area.
if you can get back in there go at him with challenges and screams. what ever you get him to say repeat it.
he will want to see his competition so look downwind a coyote decoy would work excellent in this situation.
these are my favorite stands screaming matches really get your heart going and are the best stands of the year in the old memory banks.
i always called the scream a aggressive challenge tell i heard the foxpro name for it and that name fits.
its the one that makes me say "flat short howl"
the challenge on a foxpro is just yelling insults the scream is "I'm going to kick your butt" its what i have called a challenge all these years. i have used it many times with good seccess if they are talking to you.
being self taught i named things as to what i had seen, the challenge on the foxpro seems to come from the one that will circle around you yelling at you. when you get him to answer with the scream is when i have them come in with every hair on it standing up.
they are the funnest stands of the year.
if it was a "scream" you were not busted he came slow trying to size up the compatition.

Last edited:
Thanks cmiddleton i'll give it a couple of weeks to hopefully forget me and get a coyote decoy and try your advice. i hope to add a pic in a couple weeks of the bristled up maddog lol.

Back