Slow burn powder

pasturepup

I won't try this but what would happen if I loaded some IMR 4350 in my 204 round? Would it build too much pressure because of the slower burn rate?

Odds are you would just see a reduction in velocity with no ill effects. IMR 4350 is not too far out of the slowest burn rate for the heaviest bullets available.

I'm not an interior ballistics expert but overpressuring can occur when their is an insufficient initial pressure curve to establish signifigant forward motion causing the bullet to lodge in the barrel thence causing a rapid rise in pressure and "bad" things to happen.

The following information is for discussion purposes only!

Just to see I ran it through quickload. A case full of either IMR and H 4350 showed aproximatly 3060fps and 3160fps with about 33K and 35K respectivly with a 40 grain VMAX from a 24" barrel. The pressure curve looked normal but low, as would be expected.

You would have a much more dangerous situation if you were to load with a overly fast burning (pistol) powder for your round.

B

Originally Posted By: pasturepupSo if I ground up my 4350 into fine powder (so to speak) that changes the format and burn rate of the powder, correct?

Powder combustion is controlled by not only particle size but also grain geometry and deterrent coatings. Disrupting these can cause some pretty erratic results.
John

Originally Posted By: pasturepupSo if I ground up my 4350 into fine powder (so to speak) that changes the format and burn rate of the powder, correct? This a terrible idea, Never do this at any time, EVER

I know not to, just thinking about the difference and maybe how much it would make if a stick powder was ground up and then was loaded, not knowing the difference. I'm just entertaining my mind on the basics.

If you groud up powder, it would break down the outside graphite coating and burn faster. I imagine if you ground it up fine enough, at some point it would detonate and destroy the rifle. It would have to do with the surface area exposed.

Not a fun experiment to do unless you had a precision grinding mill and an instrumented test barrel.

If you just load with a slow-burning powder, the first thing you'll notice is a bigger muzzle flash as unburnt powder exits the barrel. That doesn't hurt anything, but it's a loss of cartridge efficiency.
The XM 177's they issued us in SEA (10 inch .223 barrel) had that problem, it looked like you were firing a bazooka. They tried "fixing" it by adding a tube-type flash suppressor, but it still shot a flame about 4 feet.

Quote:Must have made for an awesome light show, but what happened to the accuracy part?

Nobody ever tested it other than on 100 yards silhouettes, that I know of. Mostly K-9 patrols were carrying them at night, so it didn't matter much as long as they could put out a lot of firepower and raise the alarm.
grin.gif

Back