cleaning during pd shooting?

BOBTAILS

I am headed out on a pd shoot this next spring/summer and was wondering how oftenlor at how many rounds do you guys find yourselves having to clean the barrel? I know it is different for all guns, was just wanting a rough idea.

I will run a dry bore snake through the barrel while out in the field about every 20-30 rounds while the barrel cools in the shade...The sun will pre-heat a barrel just sitting in the sun..

When I get back to the ranch house in the evening, I will soak each rifle overnight with a foaming bore cleaner and brush it thoroughly, then re-coat it with a corrosion retardant called Corrosion-X...And it's good for the next day..

Also, take a long a cheap styrofoam or plastic cooler to hold your ammo...the sun will pre-heat it as well and it can lead to one being 'cooked off' in the chamber if you let it sit for a while..Even the 'Extreme' powders can be affected by overheating and develop unsafe pressures when fired..

I shoot my bolt actions all day long (200-500 rounds) and dont clean until Im back at the ranch house at the end of the day. Who has time to clean when your out popping them off consistantly shooting, no time to stop & clean, only time to keep shells in the magazine.
Now I do not sit at a bench with spotting scopes or shade as I am a shoot & mover, carry 600 rounds of ammo in my pack, water and binocs.
Shoot, load, shoot, load....keep shooting, must...not....let....them.....get away..., load, shoot, shoot, shoot.....
Put gun in creek to cool down.
I didnt know there was any other way when the ground in moving with them.

My technique is similiar to OldTurtle. I usually shoot up to 40-50 rounds, or when accuracy drops off, and then go with a bore-snake. At lunch, and at the end of the day, the guns get a GOOD cleaning. My buddy's Rem .223 will go about 25 rounds, and the dirtier is gets, the higher it shoots! I use liquid wipe-out, and wipe-out accelerator for my major cleaning.......seems to work for me.

I use a little pink bottle of Proshot, just a couple patches during the day, somwhere between 50 and 75 shots. Less if it's really active.

Wipe-out at night or when switching guns for the last time. I got some finger cots, look like a little condom, from the drug store and put on the end of the barrel. that way the wipeout can be put in and the gun put back in the case till morning when patched out.

HM

Back