22-250 twist rate.....

Moneyshot

Can someone explain to me why rifle manufactures allways put 1-14" twist rate barrels on there 22-250 rifles. Most .223 rifles come with a 1-12" barrel for stabilizing up to 55gr projectiles. I would like to shoot 62 or 69gr match through my Tika T3 22-250, but the slow twist rate makes that a no go. Even if the gun could be rebarreled, I'm not in a position(money wise) to do it. I dont get it?

I really wish I knew why they do that. I guess they make .223 in faster twists since the military rounds use a heavier bullet, and the makers must figure they better make a rifle for it, if people can find the ammo on the selves.

That still doesn't explain why there is such a slow twist in 22-250 rifles, since its a better platform for launching heavy bullets if you wished. Your right at the limit, maybe over at a 55grn plastic tiped bullet, certainly over with a 60grn, both great choices for coyotes.

I read about some guys shooting 75 or 80 grain bullets in a fast twist [custom tube] 22-250 doing some awesome long range shooting. It was a few years ago probably longrangehunting.com I lurke over there off and on.

i was about to ask this same question. I wanna purchase a 250 and didnt know what to do. Savage offers 1/12 remington offers 1/14...There is a used remington 700 avaliable to me at a great price but idk if it'll do what im hoping for.

I guess they don't think you would ever intend to shoot anything that heavy? Since most guys who buy the 22-250's and .223's are only interested in varmints and coyote and only plan on shooting the 40gr. to 55gr. range bullet.
I pulled this quote from the link provided: http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2007/01/stabilization-mythology.html

"The 40gr and under varmint bullets will fully stabilize with 1:14 or sometimes even 1:16 barrels; and will tend to overspin and disintegrate with anything faster than 1:12 or so. 45-50gr bullets will generally fully stabilize with 1:14 twist, but may require 1:12, and will not tend to overspin until 1:9"

I was kind of hoping my Stevens model 200 22-250 1:12 would be able to stabilize a 60gr. Partition, but it may not? I guess I'll just have to pop for a box and try them to find out? My rifle handles the 40gr. Nosler BT's great, I get awesome accuracy. I'm going to try the 50gr. and 55gr. bullets next to see how that works out. FWIW, I think for the faster velocities of the 22-250 that a 1:12 twist would be optimal if you were wanting a somewhat wider range of bullet choices? Just my opinion.
If I were you I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy a Savage/Stevens rifle. I love mine and the price will fit any man's budget, I got mine with camo stock, for less than $400 bucks tax included.

The Nosler partitions will be stable out of a 1-12, and likely out of a 1-14 though I have never tried it.

Its a shorter bullet then even a lot of plastic tipped bullets, and its really length that effects how fast you need to spin the bullet, and not weight. Most people refer to weight since in general a heavier bullet will be a longer bullet as well.

Originally Posted By: Craig

Its a shorter bullet then even a lot of plastic tipped bullets, and its really length that effects how fast you need to spin the bullet, and not weight. Most people refer to weight since in general a heavier bullet will be a longer bullet as well.

Very good point here!

ETR.....your Stevens should stabilize the 60grn Partitions without a problem I regularly shoot 63grn Sierra SemiPoints out my 1-12" Savage with excellent results.

Good Shootin'
Tim

To me a perfect 22-250 would weigh 6lb, have a 22" barrel, with a 1-10" twist. I would then shoot 60gr nosler ballistic tips at 3400fps plus. or other ballisticly superior bullets for long range work. I would still shoot the 64gr winchester power points for larger game.

I've owned a bunch of 22-250's since the early 1970's and I've yet to see one that won't stabilize and shoot a 55 grain lead tipped spitzer bullet extremely well.

It is a shorter bullet and the 14" twist barrels handle them fine... And the bullet is a good, reliable killer...

-BCB

I had a detailed discission with a gunmaker about this when I ordered a barrel for a custom 22-250. My position was towards getting a faster rate than the standard 1-14. After talking about my expected bullet weights(mostly 50, 55 grn at the most) he really stuck firm to a 1-14 recommendation. This was also more of a dogtown rifle over a predator rig. Of course shooting easily frangible bullets through a fast twist can be a problem. Anyway I am content with my common 1-14 twist.

My 1:14 will stabilize very few if any 55 grain bullets. I have tried a bunch
of them and every one plugged into my software that said it wouldn't stabilize
didn't. Some will at muzzle velocity but over distance/time they loose speed
and can loose stability. I shoot 50's as that is where my best accuracy is with
this gun. So I know many 1:14 22-250's will handle 55's but it is marginal.

I have a 1-14 twist remington 22-250 that I was hoping to shoot 55gr bullets out of. I hand load and have tried many combinations using a 55gr and have not been happy with any of them. My rifle loves a 50gr bullet. I would like to see remington make the 22-250 with at least a 1-12 twist

i have a remington ADL .22-250 and i shoot nosler 60gr BT over 37.1 of RL15 oal 2.501 and it will shoot 1" @ 200yds all day long. i do have a few other 1-14 .22-250's that will only shoot 50 grainers nothing heavier.

Why? Because that is the twist that most 22-250 owners want, and have wanted for over 60 years that I'm aware of.
I've also been shooting 22-250's for 45 years, and all rifles have/had barrels with 1-14 twists. As mentioned, 55 grain bullets with that twist is a match made in Heaven.
Nothing stopping you from buying a 22-250 with a faster twist barrel if that's what YOU want. But, please don't condem those companies that build rifles with 1-14" twist 22-250's. I only want the 1-14 twist Varminters.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Why? Because that is the twist that most 22-250 owners want, and have wanted for over 60 years that I'm aware of.
I've also been shooting 22-250's for 45 years, and all rifles have/had barrels with 1-14 twists. As mentioned, 55 grain bullets with that twist is a match made in Heaven.
Nothing stopping you from buying a 22-250 with a faster twist barrel if that's what YOU want. But, please don't condem those companies that build rifles with 1-14" twist 22-250's. I only want the 1-14 twist Varminters.

Martyn4802:

LOL..!!

We may have to get together one of these days and try to figure out what we've been doing wrong all these years...

I'm starting to worry that a coyote about 200 yards in front of me is going to outrun a bullet from one of my 14" twist 22-250 rifles. Then what will I do...???

JMO - BCB

Neighbors ordered her Savage with the 1 in 9 twist. My wife has a McGowen barrel on her Savage that's 1 in 8!!! We also don't shoot any bullets under 75 grains. The neighbor lady at the last 600 yard match, shot a 197 out of a possible 200. Different game altogether than predator hunting.
I also remember AR's with 1 in 12 twist. Try to find one now, they are 1 in 9 or 1 in 7 twists. Ok for heavier bullets, but I prefer 52 or 55 grainers in my AR's for coyotes.

Back