Good Loads and Expectations for a CZ 527 American in .223?

I have seen a lot of good reviews. I know all gun's are different and what shoots in yours might not in mine but at least I can see what to expect plus see what most are shooting and what speeds. Let's hear it!

I don't think you can go wrong with 26 to 26.5 gr of Varget with a Nosler 55gr BT. Proly @ 3100fps. Very accurate out of many .223 bolt guns. I think you'll be impressed with the CZ though. A lot of people like 'em, but I've never had one.

I have a CZ 527 but rebarreled it from 223 Rem to 221 Fireball. As a 223 it shot everything fine. It's hard to make a bad load for a 223. As a 221 FB it is unbelievable!
Charlie

Originally Posted By: jr202I don't think you can go wrong with 26 to 26.5 gr of Varget with a Nosler 55gr BT. Proly @ 3100fps. Very accurate out of many .223 bolt guns. I think you'll be impressed with the CZ though. A lot of people like 'em, but I've never had one.

I tried my tried and true load of 26 grains of Varget and the 50 Nosler BT with my CZ American and as usual, it shot well. Less than a half inch or so at 100 yards with 5 shots IF you can hold that little gun steady. No easy task. I let a buddy of mine who was at the range with me try it with this ammo and dang if he didn't shoot a 3/8" group with it the first time that he shot it.

This load has shot very well in all three of my .223 rifles. It is well worth trying.

I have Ballistic Tips in 40,50 and 55gr. As for powder I have AA2460, H380,and 748. In the Nosler guide it looks like Benchmark gives the best velocity in all three bullet weights.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43I have used 27.6 grains of Benchmark and a 40 grain nosler BT for good results.

Oh yeah. That load works in mine as well. The best load I've found for the 40g NBT is 28.0g of AA2460, CCI400 primer, bullet seated 0.020" off the lands, Winchester brass. It was a tight contest between BenchMark and AA2460 but the 2460 shot better. It takes a 6" drop tube to get the 2460 all in the brass but it sure works well. I took down 20+ ground hogs with that load last summer. OSOK, DRT. That bullet is devastating on a GH.

Those same two powders work well with the Hornady 40g V-Max.

I've also had the rifle shoot slightly larget than caliber sized groups with the 55g NBT pushed by 24.0g and 24.5g of BenchMark. BenchMark is a good powder in that my CZ527 .223 Sporter.

The CZ527 .223 sporter loaded with the 40g NBT is my favorite walk around ground hog hunting rifle. Light, handy, and very accurate from field positions. Shoots tiny little 3 shot groups which means I always know where the first shot is going. 5 shot groups tend to open up with the slender sporter barrel but for ground hogs that doesn't matter - they are almost always gone after the first shot, always gone after a second shot.

Fitch

Back