flashlight and how to make a lens cover

Dstrat

I just ordered a 230 lumen flashlight online. For hiking I don't want to carry around a huge spotlight so would this light work? Does anyone know what type of material makes the best lens covers?

Last edited:
Dsrat, I think you must have hit the send button before you were ready...

In answer to your potential question, stop by a place that sells supplies for underwater pond lights and see if you can buy some of the colored lens covers... They usually come in Yellow, Red, Blue, and Green.... You can tape one over your bulb lens for a temporary use...

Shoot I did do that... Thank you I don't think there is any were like that around here what about hardware stores?

Go to a music store and ask for the gells that cover the show lights that the bands use to highlight their members. The red gells take a lot of heat, are cheap, and give a nice red color.....cut one to size and you're ready to go...

John

Last edited:
I have used some of the red see through plastic bowls or cups at walmart. Just cut the bottom off them and tape them on, works great. You can get a whole pack for a couple dollars. Enough to do a bunch of lights.

I went down to my local window tint shop and they had some red and blue colored window tint film. I had them pimp my light in red for less than $5!

That looks perfect! How much is shipping?
Originally Posted By: mbowermaWhat sharkathmi said, I have a number of them.

I put one of the little red lens that are used for pond lights over my flash light as someone suggested and it worked OK last night. Now if I can just find a place that has some coyotes.
I also found that my new "Primo" red light on top of the scope on my 22mag lights up every twig, leaf and blade of tall grass like the SUN! and I can't see anything past 'em (thru my scope) and is only good in a wide open area.
My First time out at night last night. I call a little bird and two trainmen at my first stand . lol I was callin' near some tracks and after about 10 minutes I see a light reflecting off the rails under some cars that were there below me and pretty soon here come these guys on the opposite side of the siding (cars) looking under the train for the animal they thought they ran over.
Second stand near the marsh,,, nada.

If you don't mind a semi permanent option you can always paint it. Krylon X-Metals red works superb after about 3 coats. When spotlighting my lights with the red paint actually make the eyes glow more.

I have used red marks a lot with success. It does rub off and you have to reapply it. Might be good for smaller flashlights. I have also used high heat red engine spray paint and sprayed a light coat that work pretty well.

I like the paint idea and marker I think I will try the marker because then I don't have to use paint stripper if I wanna take it off. Thanks!

Try to find the wide tip red markers from an office supply store. Works much easier. Hobby Lobby carries them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john1951Go to a music store and ask for the gells that cover the show lights that the bands use to highlight their members. The red gells take a lot of heat, are cheap, and give a nice red color.....cut one to size and you're ready to go...

John
I followed this advice to night and it works all so sweet

I put red dykem layout paint. Couple of coats and your good to go. Also I use the butler creek blizzard see-through rifle scope lens covers spray the cover with the dykem and when I need or want a white light I just flip the lens cover open.
Ron

Quote:I put red dykem layout paint. Couple of coats and your good to go. Also I use the butler creek blizzard see-through rifle scope lens covers spray the cover with the dykem and when I need or want a white light I just flip the lens cover open.
Ron

Thanks. Best idea I've heard yet.
thumbup1.gif

Back