Sold coons today

Ouch!
cursing.gif

I talked with the fur buyer hear in town today and he can't even sell a coyote. The only thing that's moving right now are rats.

Unfortunately, history tells us when the fur market is this low, it doesn't spring back very fast.......
frown.gif

We sold 22 last monday and averaged $8. $4 coon stinks for sure but I spent many a day trapping em for that much 15-20 years ago. Sounds like you're having a great year anyway and having fun with the dogs.

Chris

I sure aint doing it for the money. I am in the hole on the first day!! ha ha.
I love hunting dogs and it beats throwing them in a ditch some where and at least buys a little dog feed and gas!!

Vargy

You guys think thats bad how about getting cheated out of 27 $4 dollar coons. Vargy was a little irritated. The buyer did make it right though.

Originally Posted By: vargy49I sure aint doing it for the money. I am in the hole on the first day!! ha ha.
I love hunting dogs and it beats throwing them in a ditch some where and at least buys a little dog feed and gas!!

Vargy

Don't know how much you are runnin your big dogs but Groenewold told us to do just that with coyotes....leave em lay. They have so many left over from last year they are only buying the top ones that come in. Tossing the ugly ones right back at ya. Oh, and $5 tops on the ones they are buying.

CB

I on my first post am going to add my 2 cents....I am 49 and have trapped since I was 16 I will not sell a fur at these prices because the price of a finished product hasn't dropped as much as the prices paid to the hunter/trapper somebody in the middle is still making good money...they say they have plenty of holdover let them finish them up don't give them anything new to work with and they will start a bidding war...I am tanning the last 3 years of furs to give away to kids...sell at Indian Pow Wows...etc....they will not go into the garment industry........On another note in North Carolina we can sell fur any way but mounted as a taxidermy specimen how stupid is that.

Where do you guys from Iowa take your pelts too?? I know one old man out of Tipton, IA but sounds like he is worthless and just takes your pelts for nothing and I know about once a week there was a guy coming through town here in Muscatine but havent had a chance to get them all ready, thinking about just keeping all my pelts and give them away for gifts or sell them on ebay....

I got a check a couple months ago from the 4 coyotes I sent in last year. After royaltees, shipping and other taxes they sent me a check for a WHOPPING 18 cents. I'm framing the check and safe to say no coyotes are getting skinned this year unless its real nice and I want to get it tanned. Sucks because I don't like wasting prefectly good fur. Maybe find someone who will take it off my hands....

A trapper once told me the fur prices follow the economy, and judging by the numbers you guys are giving me I would say the economy sucks right now!

I talked to my buyer last week, he said he is still buying, $10 for the good ones, and $5 for an average. That is unskinned, he prefers that since he makes lure etc.

I just gave my pelts to my uncle, not that I didnt want to bring em in, just that I muffed one up and too lazy to make the drive for 1 coon and a coyote.

He also said if I could wait a month, prices are going to go up, but he didnt get specific.

we will see.

Dave

Back