chrisM , on calling coons

wis.dave

How do you call coons different thank dk? I'm always looking for improvement. I used to hunt coon with dogs, but can't have dogs anymore, but still love being out at night. This is my first year. Thanks.

Well wis.dave, first welcome, I see this is your first post. I don't really understand the question though. Different than "dk"? Do you mean Dennis Kirk? Oh well, I'll take a stab at it. Don't want you taking off to some other board cause you got ignored ya know. LOL I have never set out to call coon to be honest but I have called quite a few when calling at night for bobcat or coyotes. I have never used the "raccoons fighting" sound but am told it works well. I am also told that the bird sounds work well (woodpecker and such). When I had them come in at night sometimes it was a bird sounds and other times I was using a baby or grown cottontail too. They seem to be curious. I'm sure the raccoon oriented tapes would increase your chances though. Anyway, my advice is call at night with red spot light, use raccoon sounds or bird sounds, go to an area where there is a good population of raccoon. They are pretty easy to call. Sometimes they come right up to your truck. My most important advice is go to the "night hunting" section and ask Randy "stack em' up like cordwood" Watson about coon hunting. He's forgot more than I will ever know.

Good luck

wis-dave
Welcome to PM! Check out the post below in this forum called "how about a raccoon". I think you will find some good info there
smile.gif
MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Hi guys:

Thanks for the help. Sorry my question was confusing, but it was directed towards a posting from someone under "What about Coons" and I just figured out that I could e-mail him directly. By the way, D.K., was Dennis Kirk. Thanks anyway.

Dave

Sorry, my fault Dave. Your title was self explanatory looking at it now. Don't know what I was thinking. Just saw the "coon calling" part.

Take care

Back