How loud for your e caller ?

Yotecallr

Do you play your coyotes sounds at max volume and how loud do you play your distress sounds from you electronic caller ?

I start soft than turn up the volume. Don't want to spook one if it is close. I never turn it all the way up either.

Distress is never over 30 on my Foxpro. But when I play the pup yips It goes all the way up, it really get em going then I turn it down gradually as they are coming in.

Drift over the thread on the hawk catching a jack... based on my experience there, I just start off at "jackrabbit level" and that's where I stay. When my hawks caught a jack, the jack didn't start out at "oh,...ow...oh...that hurts a little Mr. Hawk. Hey....ow..." Instead, they go "OW!!!! OW!!!! OW!!!! GETOFFA ME YA $%^*$# HAWK!!!! OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!" and they keep up until they start dying, which happens fairly quick.

A jack caught in a fence might whimper and whine and then get louder, but the point is that both situations- full blast and whimper- can exist. So don't get yourself in a pattern, calling-wise. Start some off quiet and get louder, start some off loud and get quieter, etc.

I see how keeping volume down might pique a coyote's curiosity, but I don't really see how a screaming jack is going to scare one off. I have seen coyotes out in the pasture stand up and leave at the call and I'm positive the volume wasn't enough to scare them. I'm assuming those were call-shy coyotes as nothing I played to them would change their mind and they just steadily trotted off. Then there's times when I went into "hawk caught rabbit" at a decent volume and a coyote was there _instantly_. So, just try it all.

Anyway, to answer your question
smile.gif
... on my NX3 (same as FX3), I typically run most stuff about 3/4 volume. In tighter cover, maybe a little less. In a wide open prairie where I'm trying to reach for a mile or more- wide open.

Last edited:
i try to sound different every time i call the same area sometimes its with the volume sometimes different sounds.
the thing is to not get into a pattern.
i call louder for coyotes then for fox or bobcats.
i break more often for fox and call constent for bobcats.
whether it makes a difference or not is up to the animal to decide.

One more thing to add- I have called coyotes more than once when I got frustrated and was blowing the call absolutely as loud as I could, just to see how loud it would go. One of these was the first coyote I ever called some 30+ years ago. After a zillion and half stands of being "polite", I got mad and started giving that poor Burnham Bros all it could handle and more. I had it SCREAMING!!! After a minute or two, I looked up and there was a line of dust heading my direction from across the prairie. No, couldn't be, no way. A few minutes later, a coyote came running into the salt cedar bottom where I was, evidently behind chased by this line of dust. His tongue, saliva dripping, dragged the ground. His eyes were red, his belly growled, and he was moving FAST. I was scared to death. This thing was gonna EAT me!!! So, I leveled my .22 LR his direction, fired a warning shot, and just like that, there was a line of dust going back the direction it came!

So, I dunno.... if you're not getting anything, don't be shy.

It all depends on the terrain for me. If I can see for miles and there is little to no cover then I crank it up. If there is quite a bit of cover, I start with low volume to avoid "shock and awe". lol!

I've had them come in hard to low and high volume though.

" It all depends on the terrain for me. If I can see for miles and there is little to no cover then I crank it up. If there is quite a bit of cover, I start with low volume to avoid "shock and awe". lol!

I've had them come in hard to low and high volume though. "

+ 1
thumbup1.gif

Here's pic of one of my best stands. killed 8 coyotes off it last year, and am up to 6 on it this year. When I break out the foxpro, which isn't often, it and the sp55 connected to it go full blast. I'll taper it down, when I see one coming.

stand1.jpg

Originally Posted By: bowhunt32Here's pic of one of my best stands. killed 8 coyotes off it last year, and am up to 6 on it this year. When I break out the foxpro, which isn't often, it and the sp55 connected to it go full blast. I'll taper it down, when I see one coming.

stand1.jpg

Nice. What do you use for cover for you?

Cover..what cover? Here's another pic of the same stand. There are a few places where the rocks are exposed. I try to set up in the rocks. When I call, I tend to lay back on my elbows to reduce my profile.

100_1355.jpg

Back