What is the BEST Fox caliber ?

I've shot quite a few reds with a .223 using 55gr SP's and 60gr Vmax. Both usually give a tiny entrance and a 1.5"-2" exit on a good broadside lung shot. Headshots or contact with bone get ugly, fox just arent very tough critters in my experience. My partners swear by past experience in a .223 and 22-250 using 52gr HP's, but I dont personally recall the results.

TimH. i to have shot about that many reds with a .222 and find it to be a great cartridge. i've played with the 36 grain varmint grenade and althogh it doe'snt shoot the best out of a 1-14 twist it shoots ok to about 225. it's an excellant fox round if velocity stays below 3500. i vote for the .22 hornet as the best OVERALL cartridge for fox

.221 fireball
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jdunham17 Ackely hornet is hard to beat for fox. Pinhole in and no exit usually. It is strictly a reloaders round since it is a wildcat. If you went factory I would vote 17FB, it is also a nice fox round and not to far above the hornet.

jdunham is dead on! I concur 100%. I push the little 20 gr V-Max 17 Ackley Hornet as fast as it will go outta my rifle, 3850-3900fps, damage has gone to nothing on foxes.

CZ 527 Hornet

Ruger 77/22 Hornet

Browning Hornet

Are the top three unless you spring for a Cooper. The Cooper isn't much more after it is all added up but is a single shot. I don't think I've heard of anyone having one built on any of these that haven't shot as a 17AH. Lots of talk about the Rugers as Hornets but I have never heard of one that didn't shoot after being rebarreled in 17AH and the magazine is great. I have a Cooper and a 77/22 Ruger. They both shoot lights out with the loads they like. The people that have the Brownings and CZ's love those rifles as well. Hard not to love anything in a 17AH.

You can also use a T/C Encore or Contender, a very easy build IMO.

I have been thinking about getting an 18" barrel in 17AH from Match Grade Machine for a handy fox gun.

Originally Posted By: PrusonOriginally Posted By: jdunham17 Ackely hornet is hard to beat for fox. Pinhole in and no exit usually. It is strictly a reloaders round since it is a wildcat. If you went factory I would vote 17FB, it is also a nice fox round and not to far above the hornet.

jdunham is dead on! I concur 100%. I push the little 20 gr V-Max 17 Ackley Hornet as fast as it will go outta my rifle, 3850-3900fps, damage has gone to nothing on foxes.

3850-3900fps, isn't that right there with the .17 Fireball?

Originally Posted By: Matt N.Originally Posted By: PrusonOriginally Posted By: jdunham17 Ackely hornet is hard to beat for fox. Pinhole in and no exit usually. It is strictly a reloaders round since it is a wildcat. If you went factory I would vote 17FB, it is also a nice fox round and not to far above the hornet.

I think the Fireball will push the 20gr. bullet a bit faster than that, but I would not be afraid to Fox hunt with the Fireball using that bullet. I use a 17Rem. with the 25gr. Berger and it can be iffy on Grey Fox. I don't target Fox, but if I still did I would use my 17 with the 20gr. bullet.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.Originally Posted By: PrusonOriginally Posted By: jdunham17 Ackely hornet is hard to beat for fox. Pinhole in and no exit usually. It is strictly a reloaders round since it is a wildcat. If you went factory I would vote 17FB, it is also a nice fox round and not to far above the hornet.

Yes Matt, you're right. But the 17 Ackley Hornet that I have is much superior in accuracy to the 17 Fireball Remington Predator that I had. I use 12.1 grains of N-120 in the 17 AH behind the 20 gr V-Max. I bought the 17 Fireball thinking that it would perform as a solid coyote gun with the 25 and 30 gr bullets, it is at it's best with the 20 grainers though. Didn't need two slinging em at the same speed, so the Fireball went bye-bye. Searching for a 17 Remington build next. My Browning Micro Hunter A Bolt that was converted from 22 Hornet to the 17 Ackley Hornet has made "Safe Queens" out of alot of good rifles. Its amazing. It's the Ultimate Fox Rifle whether at 250 yards or 50 yds. The HMR's and 22 magnums can't hang with it out there at 150-250 yds. Don't hold over, you'll miss.

17Ah is an awesome fox only gun. I parted with mine for a 17Mach4. It work super. I was able to find a 20gr and a 25gr load with the same PIA. Fields for foxes 20grs Timber for coyotes 25s. It is now a 17Javelina. I used a 22mag for a few years. Works good. The 17Centerfires kill with more authority and do less damage then the 22mag IMHO on foxes.

i have a savage 17 hmr and have never shot a fox but i have shot many groundhogs and they never move, the entrance hole is almost undetectable and there is never an exit. I would not recomment it for yotes but within 100 yards it will kill one, but as far as fox go a great caliber!!! 20 grain hornady hollow points are great!!

Back