16 or 20?

I have the Coyote 16" and love it. This is my third RRA and they have all shoot great. I have had a 16" Varmint and a 20" Varmint. I like the 16" guns better for hunting. Out to 300yds they are just fine, I won't shoot at a coyote much further than that with a 223. Although it shoots well enough to hit out to 500yds, averages 4.5" groups @ 500, and under 3/8" @ 100. I haven't experimented with the Coyote for loads yet just shot the same load I had for the Varmints, so it may do better with some testing. That will have to wait for warmer weather.

"averages 4.5" groups @ 500, and under 3/8" @ 100."
Really!!!!!!!
It is hard to believe that you can shoot better with a factory rifle than Olympic champions and World Cup winners can do with the finest rifles that can be built, cost is no object.

A little exaggeration is expected but when you claim to be better than world champions, you better have some credentials!!!!!

Jack

The shorter barrel should actually be more accurate all else being equal. A shorter barrel is stiffer, and the .223 doesn't lose as much velocity as you shorten the barrel as most centerfires.

On the other hand, a 16" .223 is LOUD!! Loud enough that it is actually painful to my old man ears without ear protection, and I don't normally wear muffs while hunting.

If you can, try one before you buy.

i have a 16, 18 and a 20 and like them all equally. if you get a cage on the end it is LOUD. get a crowned end and it won't be so hard on the ears.

Honestly 16, and 20 you cant go wrong. Especially with rra. In your specific application I would go with a 16. Watch out for the noise. It might be a bit much. You will probably need to use protection. I myself go a 20 from dtech and am very happy with this unit. rra is one of the companies we hear very few complaints about and has a good reputation. Not many companies tell you what to expect for accuracy from there rifles. If I went rra right now I would check out there operator line. They look like a good deal.

I have the A4 16 inch varmit model and this gun is taking yote's at 400 yards. Very pleased with it's accuracy I keep it right next to me in the truck the shorter barrel makes it a great truck gun and the over all balance of the rifle is perfect with the short barrel. I plan on getting another one for my son so he won't be bothering me to use mine.

Every shot, even from a 22LR, permanently deletes a portion of your hearing. Everybody knows this today and with all the different hearing protection available there is no excuse to deafen yourself. Also the constant ringing in your ears gets real annoying after a while

Jack

Quote:Every shot, even from a 22LR, permanently deletes a portion of your hearing.

I keep trying to delete the portion that includes my wife's nagging, but so far no luck.
laugh.gif

I like my 20 inch,its a bit heavy but if something goes wrong and you need to take a off hand shot,the weight helps.........................X

Originally Posted By: Justin HuntsmanAnother question for all of ya, Rock River Arms whats the vote on there A4's I have heard good info on them but I would like some of your guys opinions. Thanks!!
Justin Huntsman,
I've got a RRA in A4 Varmint and love it. The A4 Varmint model is a 16" SS Varmint barrel with a 1:9 twist. It will shoot UMC and Winchester (white box) 45gr. JHP ammo to the same P.O.I. @ 100 yards and in a 1/2" group.
cool.gif

Also, 16" barrels are a lot easier to handle.
wink.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I have a rock river with a 20 inch barrel. I have packed it for many long distance hikes. I don't find it to heavy at all. If you want heavy you can try to pack my friends heavy barreled 22-250. And as far as length goes It is still shorter than most bolt guns. I have really enjoyed it and If I bought another I would probably be another 20 Inch. Don't think the advantages of the shorter barrel are worth the lost velocity

I have the RRA A4 flat top 16" barrel and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Very accurate rifle that is a blast to shoot and carry. I use to think I needed a 20" or 24" barrel, but the 16 incher, like I said above ^. Maybe if I lived out west where I could drive up to the back side of a mesa and unlaod everything and have long range shots then maybe the longer barrel. But, if that was the case then I would take a longer 22 cal cartirdge bolt gun.

Back