my new Rem mod 7 CDL 17 fireball

Rich44

I just picked this up today then started to see a few post on the fireballs both 17 and 221 and was thinking I might have made a mistake buying it but I'll try it out on some fox and groundhogs first.
I plan on putting a Leupold ultralite 3-9x33 scope on it to try and keep it light and compact.

mod7007.jpg

mod7001.jpg

mod7002.jpg

Don't let all the nay-sayers scare ya...
That's a real beauty, and I'll bet she treats ya right..
Good choice of glass too!! It should make for a nice light weight varminter.. Some Talley Light weight rings would compliment it nicely if they make em for the Model 7..

Luck
Charlie

that thing is beautiful!
Why do you think that you made a mistake?Ive seen plenty of videos where a 17 takes down a yote, DRT.I wouldnt be afraid to use it.

My buddy swears by his 17 for calling coyotes into close range. You'll like it.

And since we're toting new CDL's. I just picked up a new 25-06 topped with a Leupold 4.5-14 Boone and Crocket..

Loaded up some 75 vmax up and the first three shots made one ragged hole!

SDC10108.jpg

SDC10109.jpg

Those are indeed nice looking guns. I may have room yet in my safe for a model 7. I certainly have more than one scope looking for a rifle to top.

How are the triggers on those guns? Are they adjustable? If so, how hard are they to adjust, and what weight can you get them down to?

This forum is going to get- no, keep me in hot water with my wife all the time I think. I keep telling her I am through buying guns. Some day I will be too. I suspect that it will coinside with me becoming room temperature.

Triggers are horrible. I'd recommend taking the gun straight from the cash register back over to the gun smith for a trigger job.

Originally Posted By: Rich44I just picked this up today then started to see a few post on the fireballs both 17 and 221 and was thinking I might have made a mistake buying it but I'll try it out on some fox and groundhogs first.
I plan on putting a Leupold ultralite 3-9x33 scope on it to try and keep it light and compact.

That's a beautiful looking rifle. I've seen and handled them at my favorite rifle store. He has one in .204, or did last time I was there. One hasn't followed me home yet but that could happen with no advance notice.

Fitch

RePete
I aint scared

Rusty
I havent fired it yet but but did dry fire the trigger it didnt seem to bad but when I get the reloding components (btw midways brass was much cheaper than everyone else) and scope mounted I'll work on the trigger if it needs it, if its really crappy their is always a Jewell.

Mapes
While I do not doubt it will cleanly take a yote within its efective range with the right bullet I didnt really get it for a yote gun more for fox and groundhogs I have many other guns suitable for yotes from 204 up to 243.
Lately their seems to be a few threads on how they (fireballs) eject or dont eject brass.

Rost
I have a Savage 25-06 that just loves the 75gr vmax that is one very nice looking Rem you have there

Rich,

Mine is one that doesn't eject well, but I don't know if that is common or not.

Don't let it scare you because mine is by far the most accurate gun that I have ever owned. It is amazingly accurate, I am just not crazy about the .17 caliber. I should love the gun because of it's accuracy and fun factor, I guess that they are not for everyone.

That is the perect fox calling gun and walking woodchuck gun. Everyone who has that rifle says they shoot.I predict you will really like it.

I have one of those in 17 fireball, it seems accurate I was able to get the trigger down to around three lbs which is where I like them. I have shot several praire dogs and one coyote with mine and I don't thinkl you will see much fur damage. Don't believe the things you hear about wind drift either, try it and make up your own mind, I shot at a praire dog at around 150 yds. in the wind one day and finally seen the bullet strike, missed him about a foot up-wind. The coyote was a lazered 220 yds. drt I think I will like it. Kinda wish it was a CZ though.

Finally got the scope ( #2 first one was lost by UPS ) mounted its a Leupold VXII 3-9x33 Ultralight the first one I ordered had the wide duplex reticle but they didnt have any more so they sent me one with the LR duplex.
Have some 20gr vmax's loaded with h-322, h-335, benchmark and h-4198 now just waiting for the snow to stop BTW this one feeds and ejects just fine. also the trigger feels pretty good to it breaks crisp and clean with no creep or backtravel I havent put a trigger gauge on it but it's probably 3.5 lbs.
Also while waiting for the scope to show up I made a Ragn Cajun style (well my version sorry Randy) C.O.L gauge for 17cal

fireball001.jpg

fireball006.jpg

One of these days I'm going to have to ge me one of those 17's. Little itty bitty bullets at warp speed with just a little itty bitty bit of powder. Gotta be cheap and fun. Dave

Originally Posted By: DDJOne of these days I'm going to have to ge me one of those 17's. Little itty bitty bullets at warp speed with just a little itty bitty bit of powder. Gotta be cheap and fun. Dave

And it'll become a habit you won't be able to break.
scared.gif
grin.gif

I've owned 17 Rem. since 1971 and after all these years, a multitude of other "better" Predator calibers, it is still my favorite.

Nice rifle! Please post a report of how you like that scope. They've always intrigued me for smallish rifles, but some guys report the eye-relief is too critical in that model, so it's kind scared me a way from trying one.

Back