New Redfield Revolution 3X9-40 scope

jrbb00

After reading all that I could find on this scope I decided to go look at one at my area box hunting supply store. I looked through it and it was clear as day and bright. So it decided to just come home with me. (Thats what I told my wife at least). I have mounted it on my 1970's Weatherby Vangard in .243 with weaver bases and Weaver high mount quad rings. Looked through it at dusk yesterday and the scope picks up light very well. It is very compareable to the $200.00 to $250.00 range scopes that I have. So far so good I am planning on taking it to the redneck range (Bags of corn on the hood of my truck and shooting at a taget on the back side of my tank dam) on monday. Will do my best to give more info after I shoot it in and how well every thing looked and worked. Plan on starting off on 9 power then rotating down to 3 powere to see if point of impact moves like it has done on other scopes that I have purchused.
Talk to you all later.

Cool, keep us updated. I'm always looking for a bargain like that, if it competes with the scopes well above it's price tag it will be a great deal for sure.

Took it out today and shot it in. The gun did its part and the scope did its to. Shot it in on 3 power and then cranked it up, as I did I shot one shot per 3 power incriments they all shot next to each other so that was a good thing. Then took it to deer camp this afternoon and right at the end of shooting light I looked to see how mutch light it picked up. It did the same as my more expensive scopes and was still real clear. I am going back to camp in the morning to try to fill some tags and will post some more later. So far the new is not rubbed off so I do not want to give this scope an excelent reveiw just yet. It will have to ride around in the passanger seat for a few more trips and put to work before I give it a good buy or not. Catch you all later.

Originally Posted By: jrbb00Took it out today and shot it in. The gun did its part and the scope did its to. Shot it in on 3 power and then cranked it up, as I did I shot one shot per 3 power incriments they all shot next to each other so that was a good thing. Then took it to deer camp this afternoon and right at the end of shooting light I looked to see how mutch light it picked up. It did the same as my more expensive scopes and was still real clear. I am going back to camp in the morning to try to fill some tags and will post some more later. So far the new is not rubbed off so I do not want to give this scope an excelent reveiw just yet. It will have to ride around in the passanger seat for a few more trips and put to work before I give it a good buy or not. Catch you all later.

thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

Good info.
Please keep us posted.

OK took it out again today. Whent to the stand at about 6:00am at 6:30 the sun was starting to come up I could see figments of deer at about 100 yards. Put the scope on them and had to wait till 80 yards to tell that they were does. Still that is not bad due to the amount of light I had to work with. At 8:45am this morning I lined up on a large doe. The bullet hit exactly where it was supose to. Good now I have grocerys for a while. The gun and scope have ran around with me in the passanger seat of my truck, with the stock on the floor board and the bore facing the roof of the truck. It has rode with me for about 60 miles of bad dirt roads and 200 miles of pavement. A norther blew in and the temp dropped about 10 degrees so I put it out the window of the blind and waited for fogging. No fog at all this was a plus. Cleaned the doe and whent back to the blind and sat till dark. Once again at end of shooting light with a good fog and drizzle I could still see well enough to identify does from bucks with out a problem out to 100 yards visability was not mutch more though. So far I am very pleased with the scope for the price and with the rough ride it has been on I figured it would be off by now if it were built poorly. Tomarrow I may get to go to a freinds house and put it on the bench (A real one) and shoot it out to 220 yards and shoot at rimfire targets this will be a good challange for the scope or me. Do not know wich is more challanged. Try to post again tomarrow. Catch you all later.

Have had to work the last couple of days will be heading back to deer camp tomarrow and going to try to shoot it a little bit more try to get some pics in the morning of the redfeild and also another scope that is higher priced see what I can do.

Got a PM from a guy I know of that has some friends in the right places. I'm gonna be looking for one!

"I haven't seen the new Leupold-Redfields, but my buddy
Chub Eastman called the other day and he's been working with a few. His comments were as follows:

1. The new Redfields are 100% built in-house at the Leupold plant in Beaverton, Oregon.

2. The new Redfields must pass every test, as far as waterproofness and impact resistance, as the regular Leupold product.

3. Same "Forever" warranty

4. Price points are $125 to $225. Fantastic value that will absolutely KILL Bushnell and Nikon.

I figure that they want to have two shelves at the gunshop rather than one. And WE WIN."

Last edited:
Sorry no pics but did go to deer camp and played a little bit. Once again the scope did just like the past two trips out. Did every thing it was suppose to do and then some. I am realy starting to like this scope a lot. Exspecally for the money that I have in it. So for my final evaluation on it. This is a great scope and is well worth every pennie that I have spent on it and I plan on getting the 3X9 50mm for my 30-06 that I just purchused a while back. Every thing Don stated above has to be true about the tests because this scope has been put through some rough conditions in the past week, from being beat around in a truck to even having a blind window fall on it when I shot a spike buck with it. It still stays on target and has not let me down yet. As far as the "WE WIN" statement they have with me. Hope this info has helped.

What is the advantage of 50mm over 40mm? I have read that there is no advantage in light gathering. Is it field of view? Is there a disadvantage?

They both will be the same brightness up to about 6X. Above 6X the 50 will be brighter. Since you normally use low power settings in low light conditions there will rarely be any advantage to the 50.

Jack

thank's jrbb00. I pulled the trigger on the Redfield 3-9 four plex. Gotta keep some of us in this country work'n.

I'm gonna compare it to a Nikon 3-9 Prostaff at low light when rolls in. They should be very close on my guess.

Originally Posted By: Don FischerGot a PM from a guy I know of that has some friends in the right places. I'm gonna be looking for one!

Chub Eastman called the other day and he's been working with a few. His comments were as follows:

1. The new Redfields are 100% built in-house at the Leupold plant in Beaverton, Oregon.

2. The new Redfields must pass every test, as far as waterproofness and impact resistance, as the regular Leupold product.

4. Price points are $125 to $225. Fantastic value that will absolutely KILL Bushnell and Nikon.

I figure that they want to have two shelves at the gunshop rather than one. And WE WIN."

Good testimony from Chub Eastman!!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Originally Posted By: Don FischerGot a PM from a guy I know of that has some friends in the right places. I'm gonna be looking for one!

Good testimony from Chub Eastman!!!
thumbup.gif

I will have to agree. If the new Redfields equall a Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell, Legend and Trophy range and is close to a Burris FFII then for sure it'll get a good market share.

I'm pretty sure alot of folks want a decent U.S. made scope at this price point. As far as warranty if needed I don't think anyone will argue who's at the top.

Originally Posted By: Don FischerGot a PM from a guy I know of that has some friends in the right places. I'm gonna be looking for one!

Don,

Chub and I were big game hunting partners for many, many years. We took so many trips to Alberta together that we still feel the cold.

Chub called me a week or so ago and he was really delighted with the new Redfields (made by Leupold). And he made the same comments to me as he did to you.

A few days after Chub called, he called me again and said that he'd been shooting some "boxes" with the new Redfield/Leupold scopes and the clicks were wonderfully repeatable. Again, very good news.

I should make the comment here that our buddy Chub is enormously experienced in all things gunny. I've shot many tens of thousands of rounds with him at my side and he is difficult to top as a rifleman (I've done it a few times and he's done it to me a few times
grin.gif
) Basically, Chub knows his stuff; gunny and optics.

Now when it comes to gutting critters, I cannot tell you how many Leupold and Nosler caps he has paid me, with the appropriate writing inside, for gutting his whitetail, mulie, moose or elk. The man is not a gutter. AND I AM A GUTTER, so we make perfect hunting partners.

Steve Timm

PS. Don, the next time you're talking to Chub, please mention that you are a cyber-buddy of mine. Without a doubt, Chub will tell you that I am a pirate and a rapscallion of the worst order, and that we all deserve each other totally
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

He might even tell you about a fella in Alberta, named Charlie, who has a backhoe. And Charlie would bring his backhoe over to Philip's any time that Chub or I murdered a moose. It is a wonderful thing to both skin and gut a moose while Charlie kept the moose in the air at just the right height so that neither of us had to stoop or strain. Mooses and backhoes surely go together
grin.gif

my 3-9 was here when I got home last night.

Optically for me it compared very well to a newer 3-9 Prostaff and newer Weaver classic V 3-9. this morning.

It's quite sunny here today. I compared the 3 scopes at 9x looking at a Billboards lettering at 360 yards also at around 60 yards try'n to count bean pods on some standing soybeans they missed in the fall.

I'll need to do some low light stuff towards evenging.

It came with directions explaining the Accu-Range reticle and it's substensions on high 9x and low 3x power, along with product registration card with a lengthly questioneer on your shooting and hunting preferences. Also the scopes owners manual and camo lense cloth.

hand or glove turn turret knobs that once zero'd theres a bright silver ring under the knob you would turn to correspond where 0 is on the knob once sighted in. This will work to return to zero after making elevation or windage adjustments. The numbers and hash marks on the knob itself are large enough that I don't need my bi-focals lense to see them. Click's are not real audible, about like a Nikon Primos and 6x Monarch I have lay'n here.

power ring tension feels about perfect to me, also no problems focusing the reticle with the American style eyepiece.

Really if it tracks well and theres no zero shift between power changes it'll be a great deal IMO.

If they keep there price low it's going to take a chunk of the market in this price range for a rifle scope.

Oh. and eye relief is very generous, more than the weaver and prostaff. I did'nt try checking field of view between the 3.

Last edited:
Back