Why did my fox fur slip?

roadkill46

got my fox new years eve, skinned it in the field, rolled it up, put it in a plastic bag on ice in the cooler, got it home, unrolled and salted thouroughly. left in salt for 24 hours changed once. put in acid pickle for 72 hours, pulled out tonite to flesh and all the fur slipped, including the tail? so bad i had to throw it away. have done the same process for 4 dogs and 1 bob and have had absolutely zero slippage. also have 10 coyote tails that i did not split, just took a funnel and salt and packed with a cleaning rod for 5-6 changes, no fur slip. what gives with the fox? thanx in advance.

trying to save the tail now, don't know if i can. it was on ice when rolled up though and quite cold when i took it out. i don't think i salted it long enough and the fur did not set.

Because you rolled it up is correct.Bacteria is what makes skins slip, you realy need to flesh it before you salt it.Foxes slip easier than other animals.

so if i'm in the field, get a dog/fox/cat and i'm 40 miles from home....what do you suggest i do with it? skin it there and put in cooler or keep whole and put in cooler until i'm done hunting and then skin at home? confused as this is the first time it has happened. thanx in advance.

I see you are in Yuma, if it's warm than you will have to put it in a cooler with an ice pack or skin it and cool it.I would suggest skinning it ,then putting in the cooler.When you get home I would wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer until I had time to thaw it and flesh it.Then salt it.

Anytime you skin an animal and roll it up right away before letting it cool it is going to slip. If it's warm there then skin it and leave it unrolled and put in the shade for 30 min. then put on ice or a cool spot.

thanx for the info, guess i won't be rolling my own! i managed to save the tail, but that's it. I will know better next time for sure. thanx again.

i would say throw the entire animal in the ice without skinning. also becareful when skinning and fleshing that you dont cut to deep and hit the hair roots. also dont keep it on ice for long. its not the best thing to keep fur in to keep it cold

Back