V-Max issues?

Originally Posted By: ackleymanWe hunted Mexico for years, shot 22/250's often. A runner was somehthing that happened once every three years or so.

We used the Sierra 55g flat base lead tip spt.

The trend these days is that if you are not using a poly tip bullet, you are missing out on the latest and greatest.

Truth is that the 50g Sierra Sp, the 55g Sierra Spt, and the Sierra 55g BTHP are three of the very best yote bullets in a 22 caliber, penetration is the key.

Ackleyman, you mean to tell me....that a plain old conventional construction Sierra will actually take game. Who would have ever thunk. I mean, they have no polymer tip or any other whiz-bag marketing gimmick.
grin.gif

In all honesty, I do like the .224" V-Max for PDs, crows and such. But if you are all concerned with retrieving yotes there are better bullets. And it is hard to beat bullets with a 50 year track record.
John

All good advice here.
I bought a box of 40 Remington at wmart for $29.97.
50gr. JHP .First day of deer season years ago a 9point buck was chasing doe's in the afternoon. He was running 85yds away. I hollered to make him stop but was afraid he might step or jump forward. I aimed square at the shoulder bone. When I shot the whole side of the deer shook. HE ran 35yds and crashed. The bullet went through the shoulder and disintegrated half the hart. I was surprised at the bulletsa performance. Everything I've ever shot with the 22-250 has died, Dozens of coyotes, bobcats, deer. I dont really like V-max they're suppose to explode. Great for pdogs. Ballistic tips, silvertips, and SSTs are more trustworthy. THe benifit of a 40 box s the brass. When you consider the cost of components and powder shipping cost.

I had 2 55vmax splash on yotes in one weekend of hunting, both hit on the shoulder. Both I saw lay there for a few minutes, (150yds. or so) and kept calling in hopes of a double. Could see the blood on the shoulder. Both then got up and jumped over the hill they were on. I got up ran to the hill, and they were making a get away, couldn't get a shot because of the terrain. I switched to the sierra 52 HPBT match, no issue since. I have had 2 this fall hit with 60 vmax, quartering on, and placed the shot too close to the facing side shoulder, behind it. Both dropped, but on the shot the side the bullet hit opened up like hitting a melon, not the off side. The only thing I can guess is that the bullet was on a shallow enough angle that it blew up too close to the surface, opening up the facing side, instead of the off side.

I run 60 V-max in my 12 twist 22-250 for prairie dogs and switch to 60 Hornady HP for coyotes, just for this very reason and it serves me well. I have not tried the v-max on coyotes after seeing what they do to prairie dogs. Ugly!

Originally Posted By: reloadmike78Having some issues with the V-max 50gr in my 22-250. Shot a yote this morning about 150 quartering to me. Put it just inside of the point of the shoulder. Shot, thump, and then begins the death spin. Fell off behind a hill so no follow up shot. Heard him howling so left him lay and kept the caller going. 5 min later, shut off call and went to retrieve him. All I found was an area that looked like a pig had just been slaughterd. Followed blood trail but to no avail.

Another dog about same distance a few weeks ago, in a calling contest same deal, but no blood. Did the back flip, death spin and then ran off.

I don't know what the deal is. I am stumped. Too fast? Too close?

Any ideas or similar issues? Please advise.

Thanks,

Reload

Depending upon barrel twist rate, the Hornady 75 grain Amax bullet may deliver the performance on coyotes you are seeking. A 1 in 9 inch barrel twist rate would likely be required to stabilize the bullet at longer ranges.

I used to shoot nosler ballistic tip 55gr out of my 22-250 but switched to 55gr v max because my gun liked them better. I never had any problems with the noslers, and nor have I with the v-maxs. I have shot 30-40 coyotes with the v-maxs and have had a couple runners due to shot placement, just the norm. Most have dropped in their tracks. This includes one dog shot between the eyes. The v-max removed the back half of his skull plate. Granted, im only pushing 3500fps. I couldn't be happier with the performance of v-max for varmints, including coyotes.

Last edited:
Back