17 HMR for Bobcats

TimM

What is the effective range for a clean kill on Bobcats and Fox with the 17 HMR?

What about Coyotes?

Do a search and you'll find your answer...and then some.

I just did a search using "17 hmr for coyote" (including quotation marks) and got at least 6 pages of results.

Daryl

We are fortunate here with fox in the winter you can drive down the country roads and it wont be long befor you spot a fox sunning himself by an old badger hole.The .17hmr is the weapon of choice on these shoots,of the dozen or so I have shot with the .17 the farthest being 150yds approx., the animal has dropped over dead on the spot.They dont even get back down thier hole.

The .17 will knock down coyotes at close range but it isnt a coyote gun in my opinion.The business Im in I use the .17 alot and highly recommend it.

There's no such thing as too much rifle, but there is a such thing as not enough rifle.
smile.gif
When in doubt, go bigger.

Centerfire is the only way to go for coyotes. Coyotes are tough customers, as I've experience it first hand. Shooting them with a 12 gauge or .223 sometimes requires follow up shots. I can't imagine using anything less, but I have considered using something larger.
cool.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I agree. I've seen a coyote shot with a 7mm (from a long ways) and by the time we got to him he was still marginally alive being shot in the neck and having a broken jaw. I don't think i'd want to rely on anything less than a center fire gun.

And still... popcorn or not, nobody has really answered my original question.

There is the original question and then there is the question about coyotes which is an afterthought.
There are some places that I would set up with intentions of specifically calling a bobcat or fox. in these situations I would like to know the effective range that a 17 HMR would provide.

And then I thought... what if a coyote would come in? Do I pass on a coyote with this caliber or is there a safe range in which it would be ethical to attempt a shot? Just looking for an answer about this caliber, I am not looking for recommendations for other calibers.

Last edited:
I have lost a couple of Cats with the 17hmr. Both were under forty yards. Both were good hits. I went to a shotgun for close range cats, and a 17 rem. if there is any distance. Fox are much smaller I would say seventy yards or so.

from what i hear, bobcats are pretty tough, so i would think the 22 mag would be better. plus with the magnum, you could take a coyote that comes in as long as he is close (75 yards) with good shot placement. im no expert, and have never shot a bobcat myself, but from what i hear, 22 mag would be the way to go

Close, or not, the neck should not be your target. A hit to the vitals is more lethal and reliable. I would not shoot more than 75 yds with a 17 HMR. If at all possible, 50 is even better.

but if using a smaller round, wouldnt the neck be a better target, since the vitals are shielded by the ribs and shoulder bones?

A round hitting the bones would only add to the trauma of the wound. At the distance i am suggesting, the HMR still has enough energy for a bone crushing wound.

Originally Posted By: ozzy
deadhorse.gif

I realize that I am very new here but I might be starting to see why there was another predator hunting forum started no too long ago.

If you don't have anything to add to a thread why waste precious friggin time posting?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TimMOriginally Posted By: ozzy
deadhorse.gif

I realize that I am very new here but I might be starting to see why there was another predator hunting forum started no too long ago.

If you don't have anything to add to a thread why waste precious friggin time posting? You will probably find the same info elsewhere. Ya might as well use a pellet gun or a bean shooter.
smile.gif

TimM-It would probably work for cats 50 yards or less and if I were to get one that close and all I had was my .17HMR I'd shoot it.But it would have to be a headshot.I shot a bobcat in the chest with a .223 last year and it still ran 10 yards before falling over.Their very tough animals from the experiences I've had with them.I've shot dozens of feral cats with my .17HMR and have killed em' all dead where they stood all except for one I shot with an FMJ but thats a whole other story.Lets just say I hate FMJ bullets with a passion.But bobcats and feral cats are alot different is what I'm gettin at.
I'd trust a .22Mag about the same as I would a .17HMR when it comes to shootin bobcats.I'd say the farthest I could honestly say I'd try to kill a bobcat with a .22Mag is 75 yards at the most.
I'd suggest getting a .223 for shootin bobcats and coyotes.The only thing is that they would be a little rough on the fur if you called in a fox.I've never shot a fox before but you might check into the different .17 caliber centerfire rifles or maybe the .22 Hornet.I'd probably ask just to see which .17 caliber centerfire is capable of killing a fox,bobcat and coyote without ruining the fur because I'm pretty sure there are a few that will get the job done.

I own a .17HMR myself, a dandy rifle i might add. It does a great job on jack rabbits and crows, that's about it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TimMOriginally Posted By: ozzy
deadhorse.gif

If you don't have anything to add to a thread why waste precious friggin time posting?

maybe because this topic comes up once a week at least. why not spend some of your friggin precious time doing a search and reading?

Back