Two rat tail coyotes ( & more)

RandyDB

Went out a week ago this past Sunday for a couple hours of calling. The wind as a little over 10mph and it was in the twentys.

The first stand was in a fence line between to cut bean fields with a small pasture and runoff creek to the east about 300 yards. Started with a lone howl on hand calls then waited a couple minutes and because of the wind I went to a distress on the hot dog. Three minutes later I saw movement to the north east, a coyote was trotting about a 100 yards out from the fence line. About that time another came out of the pasture behind him and started following. The first one I let go untill he was in the fence line and I couldn't see him. I then woolfed the second one to a stop and put a 65gr sierra in him at just a little over 150 yds. The first one had stopped 25 yds south of the fence line and he took the second 65er out of the AR that morning at around 125 yds.

They both had mange hardly a hair one on their tails.

Called three more places and had two coyotes stay far out and get around to the down wind side with no opportunity for a shot. The coyotes this year seem a little call shy.
DSCF0289.jpg

Last edited:
Had time this morning to make a few stands. The wind was out of the east,very light this morning. First stand was calling a 1/2 section of pasture to my east a 1/4 section to the south and a cut milo field to the west. Started with a lone howl and within a couple minutes had to coyote south and east of me about a quarter mile away. They were starting to head east so I got on a distress call. You would have thought I had shot at them they took off back the way that they had came. I tried everything to get them back but to no avail, they must of been called and shot at before.

The next stand was one that I had called a coyote out of before two weeks ago and he circled and winded me. I set up so the only way he could wind me today was on a open wheat field. This place is a hald section of pasture with a heavy draw running down the middle. I was on the high ground with a cedar tree to my back.

Started out with a couple howls and then went to the ruffy dawg. After the second series on the ruffy dawg at about 8 minute here he comes trying to get down wind. I already had the R25 in 243 pointed to the down wind side so I waited untill he was just about to get down wind and barked him to a stop. He was right at 90 yards and the 70 TNT took his heart out.

I called a couple more places and didn't see a thing, was headed home and my brother called on the cell and told me where a coyote had just crossed the road in front of him.
I had just shot a double at this place on the 27th of December. I drove to the place and called for 30 minutes and didn't see a thing.

Went back to the truck and took this pic of the first coyote.
DSCF0296.jpg

I was loading everything in to the truck and looked back to where I had just called and there was a coyote coming up the fenceline. My truck was hid so I grabbed the R25 and stuck back to a cedar about 20 yds away, it was them I realized that I had left my calls in the truck. I started doing a lip squeak on the back of my hand and here it comes on the run.
At about 150 yds it skids to a stop, the truck wasn't as well hiden as I thought. The R25 barked and here is the results along with the first one. This one has a little mange. The two in the post above are from the same area, mange is bad there.
DSCF0297.jpg

Last edited:
I have been trying, there has been mange in this area for the last 3-4 years. I have seen one this year that is just blue hardly any hair on it anywhere. I hope the cold snap killed it or if it's still alive I can call it in.

Mange is pretty bad here,I killed one a while back,that at 200 yards,it looked like a blue heeler dog.At about 100 yrds I could tell it was a coyote.Those mangey dogs do come a runnin around here.They do make good fur coats for your mother-in-law,waste not want not.

Back