Bobcat Rifle?

Originally Posted By: gonzagaI would use my 22-250 without hesitation, just because of the range.

I guess I would disagree with this statement too. I used to shoot a 17 Remington and have killed coyotes out to 300 yards and I'm shooting a 204 now. I shot one a few weeks ago at 334 yards. My personal limit is "around" 300 yards with these rounds just because they tend to start to drop pretty quickly then. Most of the time, it doesn't matter what caliber I'm shooting, when I get past 300, my consistency goes down. Probably my ability is the issue then.
I

he stated his shots would be 100 to 150yds. a hornet will drop coyotes at that range with ease.a thin skinned cat doesn't stand a chance either.i have never had a exit wound or a cat ever run off(all chest shots anywhere fron 20 to 150 yds)

Originally Posted By: coondawgwhat shot would use for shotgun in al.we can not use buckshot

Depend on the range. Bobcats are not hard to kill and thin skinned as are fox, much, much easier to kill than a coyote. Any shot should work but depends on the range and your pattern.

I use Sierra GameKing #1365 55gr SP and a heavy dose of
H-380 with Magnum primers.

I gave up after years of tring this and that to find the "perfect" fur friendly load with only entrance holes.
Everytime I thought I had it, I would begin to see splash entrances or explosive exits. I have tried 17 Remington, 22WMR, 222, 223, 22-250, 6x47, 6mm Remington, 243, 25-06, and 257 Weatherby (Never shot a cat with it but I have no doubt it will kill one DEAD DEAD DEAD.)
I actually started my Predator hunting in the mid-70's with an old 788 in 22-250, I could have saved alot of money had I just stuck with that and standard old soft points.
For one reason or another (some obvious) all the calibers and combos I have tried I always end up back at 22-250. While some rifles were more "Fur Freindly" I hate wounded runners be they yote or cat. On the other end I could make yotes do back flips but when Mr. Bob came calling he ended up looking like a train wreck not the trophy I had pulled the trigger on.
For me the 22-250 with Seirra #1365 loaded with H-380 on a CCI 250 primer is a good as it gets.
Good luck fellas and keep the wind in your face...........

Here are 3 shot with the 22-250 at various ranges and angles.
Notice no mess and only one broken shoulder, they skin much easier if you dont break the shoulder.
5478120169_large.jpg

This cat the entrance is just above the little brown call, note no mess on
the cat or the bag of my ATV the 22-250 can and does work great.
5478120152_large.jpg

BigMo,

I had a hunch that you were using the Sierre GameKing. One of my pet loads out of my 22-250 is the 55 gr Gameking SP with a dose of Varget. I also like the 52 gr MatchKing BTHP with a dose of Varget. Both work well for me on coyotes, but I have yet to take a cat with either. I was thinking they might be a little ruff on cats.

Terry

Originally Posted By: BigMoIt's all in the bullet................
22-250

I agree. I have killed several with mine and never had an exit. I use a 55 gr vmax and 34.2 gr of H380. It is toned down quite a bit from the load I use for long range prairie dogging but it is a great fur killer/saver. I am interested to see what BigMo's load is too though.

.204 Ruger, .20 VarTarg, .17 Remington or .17 Fireball. Out to 250 yards, no problem with any of them and the .204 and .17 Remmy will go a lot farther than that with the right bullet.

Terry
Years ago I swore by the 52 and 53 grain match bullets.
I've even been chewed out here for mentioning them, based on ethics I'm sure, but thats another story.
The 52 and 53 match also peformed very well but on occasion I would be sure of a shot on a yote and get a blazing fast runner, most sadly I never recovered. I believed this to be a clean pass through with no bones and no expansion. Those bullets are still very good but my DRT and 10 yard recoveries got better with the GameKing. Cats are in my opinion a bit easier to but down and I cant recall ever having a cat get away using any bullet. I just cant stand it when I recover a great looking, hard sought after animal that some years I hunt the entire season for maybe 5 chances at a cat and when I pull the trigger on one it gets blown to smither-reans by a crappy bullet, bad shot placement, or a twig I never saw.
A less than perfect shot is sometimes all you get and when that happens I feel best with a 22-250 and the Sierra GameKing.
5478120065_large.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TA17rem

For cats a 17 rem., 17 mach-4 and a 221 f.b. do a nice job on cats..

+1
Good advice right there.. IMO

And "YES" a 17Rem will kill a Coyote at 250yrds,, and that's not just something I read somewhere..
As a matter of fact,,, it's probably as close to a one size fits all caliber as it gets..
Again,,, "JMO"
Luck
Charlie

Back