Alpen Apex Scopes

1jrod

I was wondering if anybody has used one of the alpen apex scopes, and if so what did you think about it? I need a scope for one of my 220 swifts that is coming back with a new barrel, and was thinking about trying one as I love my apex binoculars that I use. I am torn between this and an elite 4200. Does anybody have any input?

I own several Alpen Apex in various forms. 6x24, 3.5x10, 4x16, and a couple of the 3x9, and my original Apex purchase was after comparing the clarity, eye relief, and light transmission to a leupold (don't specifically remember which one it was, but I am thinking it was a similar rig). I must say that I am an Apex fan, and even use some of their Kodiak line as well. When I am in the market for a scope, I look to Alpen first. never had a problem from any of them. they track well (4 clicks moves one inch, and so on), and I am getting ready to test out their warranty.

I was hunting in a really wide stand during a snow a couple of weeks back. picked a bad stand for the morning (snow was blowing right in my face when I got in the stand). Anyway, as the morning wore on, I kept my head down and looked up every couple of minutes to scan the ridge. At about 8:45 I looked up to see my gun slip off the rails and head toward the ground, landing scope side down on a rock right on the front ring, busting the front ring, and bulging the scope beyond being able to put it back in a set of rings. I contacted customer service, and the next morning, received an email, giving me an RA number and where to send the scope. I DO NOT expect them to cover it under warranty, and it was not their fault that it fell, hit a rock and bulged, but will be interested to see the repair bill. I will let you know, as I am shipping it to them this week.

The fall did not, however, damage anything I could see on the inside of the scope. It fell about 20 feet, and as I said, landed right on a rock, scope side down. A sinking feeling to say the least, but we will see how it all pans out in a week or two.

My vote is buy with confidence. I like my alpen stuff.

rb

update:

I sent the scope to alpen. I got a call last night that the damage to the scope (which was pretty bad) was beyond what they could simply replace for. I completely understand that. The fall was not their fault, and it was not a manufacturing error that led to the problem. This was the response I expected, and was not surprised.

What did surprise me was the representative's next action. He offered to sell me the exact same scope for an amount that would net the company about 50 dollars and cover shipping it to me, and offered to sell me the new 2010 model of the scope for about 15 dollars more.

Let me remind you that the damage to the scope was completely my fault, completely user error, and in no way reflected poorly upon the workmanship of their product. The damage was so bad that the scope would no longer fit into a set of rings, and yet they are replacing it for a price that I couldn't go and buy a cheap scope to replace it with.

Thank you Aplen Scopes for such great customer service.

I have heard some good things about Alpen products, including getting more than you pay for. Glad they are willing to help, thats getting harder to find these days. ed

Back