16 inch barrel, is it long enough for coyote hunting??

matachango

Is 16" a long enough barrel for shooting coyotes? I ask this question at the local gun stores and the guys behind the counters look at me like I am stupid, they never have an ounce of "costumer service" in them. so I ask all of you. Is 16 inches enough?? Any opinions and/or personal experience would be helpful thanks guys and thank you for the info you provided me on my first 2 posts.

My AR is a 16". It is plenty long. Most your shots will be less than 100 yds. You may occassionally have a longer one but I wouldnt hesitate to shoot out to 400 yds with mine.

i own 6 AR15 RIFLES. i think the 16 inch barrrel is the best for coyote hunting. i have seen no real difference out to 300 yards. there wil be many days were a coyote will not stop for you, u need a gun that u can swing for a runing shot. marty

Last edited:
Does the guy at the counter know that the bullets come out of the barrel? You don't have to actually place the muzzle against them before you pull the trigger.
laugh.gif

one of my friends has a dpms "sweet 16" ar and loves it. at least 10 coyotes killed with it, a little on the loud side but works fine. Looks sweet too.

Mata......I have used 16in. AR carbines since 2001 and have never had a problem at all. In fact I just smoked a nice female this afternoon at a stepped off 210 paces and she dropped right there. Just use the right ammo and know your how your gun shoots it and you will be just fine. Recently, I have been shooting my handloaded 65 gr. Sierra gamekings and do they put em' down hard! love it!!!

good luck

Last edited:
Dropped this one 2 nights ago at 325 yards quartering away, went down like a stone. 60gr Vmax out of a 16" barrel, its plenty.

325yards.jpg

my 16in armalite is the rifle i all ways grab when i go coyote hunting. I have taken 5 or 6 coyotes and one big bobcat with it and all of them has been DRT.

mata you need to give the guys at your local gun shop that same look they gave you when u asked them the ? 16 is i think ideal for calling rifle swings vey well a bit loud but its compact size makes up for it Ron

Back