Coyote hunting in Illinois

Well admin said if there are state forums that members will only visit their own state and none of the rest of the rest of the board. Which is total [beeep]. I may start a Poll to see if members want state boards.

New here, my old man turned me on the forum. Hunt in Randolph Co, looking to hunt some strip mine ground in Perry Co. Went out last Sunday and killed a small female yote.

New to the forum but been sniffing around for a while now. I hunt in Knox county and this is my first year hunting coyotes. 2 down in 2 weeks. Lots of coyotes around these parts. The last 2 nights I have actually been hunting out of my kitchen window. Had one dog come in on the first night but did not offer me a shot. I'll get him sooner or later.

First pic is of my first ever coyote. 35+ lb female.
1219090833.jpg

Second was a smaller male.
1226091503a.jpg

Nice couple of dogs. It should be easy to get land over there. Last year some land owner/farmer was having problems with yotes killing his sheep. He came on here asking if someone could kill them all off.

I like that you have that second one laying up against the moto ski, I had a futura 500 back when I was in high school. Soooo many years ago.

As far as seperate state boards I'm not sure we would need a state by state board, just another midwest section would be good. If you want to keep in touch with people in IL, just keep this thread going and you will know what's going on around the state.

Last edited:
Vermilion County here. Not many predator hunters in my area that I have run across, so that leaves tons of yotes for me.
smile.gif

A Midwest board would be good.

id say do regional boards, thats how all the truck forums I belong to work. main discussion and then anything specific to your state or whatever goes in the midwest, or southeast ect board.

Just an idea.

Oh yeah, whats been working for you guys in the kendal/kane/dekalb ect counties with all this snow. I have yet to see a yote in the 3 months I have been doing this, I have heard a lot but no sitings. The wind has really been in my favor lately with the stands I have been doing too.

Midwestkid, nice pics especially that top one with the sunset in the background. Ireally like that rig you got there as well. Good job on the calling.

thanks for the comments. i called one in lastnight and it got down wind of me before i saw it. next thing i know i see a yote with the afterburners on shoot in front of me. stopped him at 320 yards. wind was gusting left to right 25-30mph missed. headin back out this evening hopefully to redeem myself.

To all the new members or anyone thats interested. If you search or go back in the predator hunting section there is an excellent post by kirby about midwest hunting that doesnt have a sticky but it should. Theres some good info there and there was talk of a midwest section. Its a good read.

Last edited:
I think this is the link to what savage fan is talking about. #1086489 - 10/17/08 08:02 AM Farmland predator hunting & tactics well it's not a link but it is the post # hopefully it will help anyone find it that wants to. I'll bring it ttt for another chance.

Yes thats exactly what i was talking about thankyou for bringing that up. I was in the process but had other stuff to do. Thanks again. Like i said earlier, i think its a good read.

Hunt in Rock Island & Mercer Co. Killed 56 the last two seasons by spot and stalk, calling and using sniper stands. Just me and my Savage 12FV in 22-250, Spitfire, and Mojo critter. Ranges 40-383 Yrd's with many at or around the 300 mark. I hunt by invitation only, by respecting there land and livestock other farmers hear about you and contact you to help thin out the coyotes on there farms. A sidebar that I know is controversial--Many farmers do NOT let hunters that are shooting AR's on there land. Not saying they are right, but it is there land and it is there judgment call-- Just be aware.

I have ARs and I also have bolt guns.
If they won't let me use a AR I just pull our my 17 Remington and show it to them...They can't belive that little rat gun will take down a coyote...hehehe!

Back