243 WSSM AR-15

The altered magazine holds 7 rounds, feeds flawlessly. I chose the 243 WSSM because of the large bullet selection. It's mostly for coyotes so bullet weight is adequate for the job.

Originally Posted By: FALFireIt's quite Humorous to read these responses like "I know someone that has one of those" or "I've heard this or that about it and you are just asking for problems" yada, yada, yada and as it turns out, they really don't have a friggen clue of what they are talking about.
OMG...DANGER....DANGER
scared.gif
MAGAZINES WHERE DO I FIND MAGAZINES??
scared.gif

Don't fear the "MAGAZINE NIGHTMARE MONSTER" it happens to be a very simple adjustment to a standard 20 round mag and a little smoothing of the follower, I've done several and it takes about 5 minutes.

hey i'm just statin facts, i have delt with it first hand, and i do have a "friggin clue what i'm talking about. here are just a few of his brass, like i stated above we had to modify his bolt lugs to solve this problem, not sure about you, but if i had this type of damage to my brass i sure as [beeep] wouldn't want to reload it and have it split from the shoulder to the neck like it has befor especially shooting a magnum load! now i am not doggin anyones products like i said this is an accuracy systems upper, and i am just givin the guy who posted the thread some helpful information. as for the magazine mods, all you got to do is dremel the follower out to fit your rounds, (if you need to load a LR round your gonna have to do alot more than that to your mag and your Mag well) just something i wouldn't want to deal with myself, but if your up for everything i stated in my prev. post more power to ya.

each one of these brass has a cut on the shoulder from the bolt.
DSC06420.jpg

these started as brand new winchester brass, and they are only once fired, the bolt cut em both deep enought that when fired the pressure split the shoulder.
DSC06425.jpg

same as these.
DSC06426.jpg

Last edited:
Skinney, The folks at Accuracy Systems are good folks, but they don't do very many of the WSSM's. This problem that you are showing is typical in a couple of different situations: 1) The bottom bolt-lugs have not had the edge rounded. 2) The magazine either has not been modified correctly, or the magazine was not allowed to hang freely in the magazine well. 3) The geometry of how the magazine is held in the lower receiver is out of spec.

The back side of the two bottom bolt-lugs needing to have a radius on them is something that I learned the hard way back about 1000 WSSM uppers ago. The neck to shoulder ratio, coupled with the massive bolt, makes this unique to the WSSM line.

The modification to the magazine is another point. If the magazine-catch slot is not raised enough, you will get marks on your brass. Keep in mind that most of what folks are purchasing in the WSSM line is just an upper receiver. I RARELY even see the lower receiver that the upper that I build and test is going to be used on. It is not unheard of for a customer lower to be out of spec enough that I have to make magazines especially for that lower.

Bottom line: Your friend should not have had to do anything to the bolt or magazine. I'm sure I have had a bolt slip out of the shop that didn't get the radius put on the bolt-lugs, but I know it's at least a 1000 to 1 chance that it will happen. The WSSM uppers run great, shoot great, and out of all of the uppers that I have produced over the years, I have yet to have my first barrel washed out. There are many myths that follow the WSSM line, both from a bolt-action and the AR-15. Where I would starve to death building custom bolt-action rifles chambered in the WSSM line, I do a good business building AR-15's chambered in the same line.

Dtech-
i wish i would of known about your wssm's befor i ordered the one for my cousin, sounds like your rifles are good 2 go, compared to what he's got. also the lower reciever that he put on his upper was a stripped dpms lower and we put in the parts kit, he had the trigger modified to be around 2lbs or something of the sort. he has made all mag modifications, just have to remember to bump the brass when resizing, otherwise big jamming issues, also his gun shoots great sub MOA groups using 75gr bullets, but if you move up from there you can't even hold 2 MOA sometimes 3 @ 100M. I will have to look into your buisness i am a FFL/SOT, I appreciate your help and input i will pass on your helpful info. to my cousin, PM sent.

Skinney, Pack up the upper and the magazines. Ship them to me and I will check it out and do anything that needs to be done to it. I know I didn't build it, but they are really very reliable uppers and I don't like to see anyone suffer. Just consider it "professional courtesy" to you.

Thats real decent of you to offer him that help.
What kind of wait time is typical when ordering your uppers and what about getting mags that are correctly altered?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: UrimaginaryfrndThats real decent of you to offer him that help.
What kind of wait time is typical when ordering your uppers and what about getting mags that are correctly altered?

Thanks

Actually, it's a real "no brainer" to help this guy out. There is no witchcraft involved in the WSSM uppers, and going over this upper will not take that long. Even though I didn't build it, I'm much better off spending a few minutes going over it than to have a thread like this one convince anyone to believe some of the myths.

My lead-time right now is nothing short of a nightmare. I am currently working on orders placed about a year ago! There was a HUGE "lump" of orders that followed the elections last year. That fact, coupled with the move of my shop this spring, has put me in a position I haven't been in during the 18 years I've been doing this. At the end of March, it was like you turned off a switch. The order volume dropped back to normal, or even bellow normal overnight. Since the last of March, order volume has been low enough that by the time I work through the "lump" of orders, I will start shortening the lead-time everyday. My best prediction is that I am going to be running lead-times of about 8 months on orders placed now, and that will probably drop by a few more months by this summer.

Hey Skinney, my post wasn't directed at you as a personal attack so relax and have a cold one. This subject has come up many, many times on PM and I just noticed you have been a member here for all of what, two weeks or so? So you may not have had the opportunity to see them from the past several years.

Well many of us here have been around here for a while and topics of concern like this often repeat themselves. I have read so many times of guys giving their opinions on a subject but really never having any hands on experience yet they want to sound like an expert or just have to say something.

I don't apologize for my comments, take for what it's worth and move on. I would rather see someone read more than the typical BS that is often-times repeated and dis-proven again and again, some folks just never get the real facts straight.

Mike is a stand up guy, a very respected and noble person here and on other boards as-well, his offer is way above and beyond, but that is what makes him the man he is.

You are correct about the brass in your photo, it's junk most likely, but that is not typical of WSSM uppers/brass nor is a 3MOA upper.

thanks, but i don't drink, like i said above and as mike also stated, accuracy systems is a good bunch of guys, and was a pleasure for me to deal with, but it should not be doing what its doing, and i hope i gave the guy who started this thread some helpful info, thats all i was tryin to do. no expert here just sharing some factual info.

So tell me this, How do you know when a barrell is burned out? or shot out?

Also, How many rounds do you estimate it to take in the 243 wssm to shoot out the barrell?

I'm confused.
smile.gif

6mmbr says around 1500 for the standard 243 or 243AI....if that's the case a 243WSSM can't be any worse than that. I would think a gas gun would offer more life than a bolt gun due to pressures and velocity being less.

Originally Posted By: skinneyDtech-
i wish i would of known about your wssm's befor i ordered the one for my cousin, sounds like your rifles are good 2 go, compared to what he's got. also the lower reciever that he put on his upper was a stripped dpms lower and we put in the parts kit, he had the trigger modified to be around 2lbs or something of the sort. he has made all mag modifications, just have to remember to bump the brass when resizing, otherwise big jamming issues, also his gun shoots great sub MOA groups using 75gr bullets, but if you move up from there you can't even hold 2 MOA sometimes 3 @ 100M. I will have to look into your buisness i am a FFL/SOT, I appreciate your help and input i will pass on your helpful info. to my cousin, PM sent.

If your cousin is who I think he is, he posts on the WSSM forum. According to his posts, he has gone from 75s to the 105s and has been given advice to look at bullets between the two. His gun is not going to stabilize the 105s, others and I have told him this on that Forum. I bet his gun has no problems, and if he looked at the 90 to 100 bullets for his hunting needs then he would have no issues. Mike (D-Tech) has directed me in the past to look at bullets of over a .400 BC and in that grain range to do the best for my application. I have attempted to offer some advice to your cousin about the 95 B-Tip Nosler but he stated he has not had a chance to do load development. The hunting videos he has shown in the past do not show any problems but he may be using the 75gr bullet.

If this is not your cousin, then my apologies.

pry the same guy, ya he is using the 75 grain in the hunting cause he cant get the heavier grains to stabilize, which sucks for him cause its hard to hit steel @ 1000M with 75grainers, i'm too busy working on some of my new load data to try and find one for him, we'll have to give the 95gr nosler a try, when this blizzard passes, otherwise i may get him to list his gun, and go for a dtech.

Originally Posted By: skinneypry the same guy, ya he is using the 75 grain in the hunting cause he cant get the heavier grains to stabilize, which sucks for him cause its hard to hit steel @ 1000M with 75grainers, i'm too busy working on some of my new load data to try and find one for him, we'll have to give the 95gr nosler a try, when this blizzard passes, otherwise i may get him to list his gun, and go for a dtech.
One thing to keep in mind is that he was using 42.8gr of RL17 by his reports and his OAL was 2.257, 2.30, 2.215, and 2.2. He stated he lowered the load but then shortened his OAL. Alliant states MAX load is 41gr for a 100gr and he is shooting a 105gr and seating them too short. He was over MAX load and he is creating even more pressure as he seats them deeper. That is going to cause problems with his gun. His Brass may not be any good to reload. He stated that he had Varget also and I think it would do him well to use some of that with the 95gr Noslers. I am testing RL-17 now and will let him know what I find out if he wants.

Originally Posted By: PuritySo tell me this, How do you know when a barrell is burned out? or shot out?

Also, How many rounds do you estimate it to take in the 243 wssm to shoot out the barrell?

I'm confused.
smile.gif

It is not the barrel you have to worry about at first, it is the throat of the barrel that is the problem.

Originally Posted By: mbkmkk He stated that he had Varget also and I think it would do him well to use some of that with the 95gr Noslers. I am testing RL-17 now and will let him know what I find out if he wants.

i'm sure he would appreciate all the help he can get,
thanks.

Skinney--there may be an option that your brother may want to consider, if he's up for it. A number of years ago they used to make a "VLD" magazine that would allow the head of the 223 case to slide back into the guide ridge in the back of the magazine. As far as i know no one has done this with the WSSM case head size, but it could work. It may require some special machining/magazine work, but it would decrease the seating depth by more than 0.25", for what it's worth. Be nice to have a semiautomatic system for VLD bullets in an AR though.

Obviously your brother is gonna need the correct twist rate for the VLD's also.

Back