coyotes while snowing....

redbone75

After being away for two years, I started calling coyotes again last weekend and realized what I have been missing. After a unsuccessful last weekend, I went out this past Friday after we recieved 7 inches or more of snow on Wednesday/Thursday, and called in 2 after 3 stands. Saturday, I called in 1 out of 3. We recieved 4 more inches last night and it never really quite today. Just a light snow all day. I went out this evening and made 2 stands while it was snowing, and never seen a thing. I thought since it was still cold as heck plus with the additional snow, they would be out searching.

I was wondering what everyone thought about hunting these critters while it was snowing? Do they move better or do they just hole up until everything settles down?

I am just curious on what folks opinion is.....

I have always thought that regular snow fall didn't bother them much but if a big front is heading in, they would feed up ahead and then lay low thru the storm and get back at it after it blew on out.

My best days are overcast foggy snowy days. Killed all 4 of my yotes this year in those conditions. I think they are kind of like deer, they both like to move at night and they feel safer the darker and hazier it is. I see alot of mature bucks moving in some of the nastiest conditions also.

Last edited:
Never had good luck in the snowy weather. But it sure is pretty sitting and watching the big flakes slowly fall.. I'll hunt in it, but the only thing I have called in whiling it was snowy weather was a Bobcat....

I hunt the snow/fog/haze anytime I can and have had pretty good success. I think the coyotes are more relaxed because they have all that 360 cover and they think they're hidden, although they do have to be closer for you to spot them. It's also a lot easier to get to a stand without being seen, your movements are harder for the coyotes to spot too. Dry grass and leaves are usually damp and not quite so crunchy. Now why the heck wouldn't you hunt the low viz days?
confused.gif

I think the very best time to call is when it is snowing or hazy. The low vis seems to give the coys a false sense of security. I didn't get to hunt during this snow though. Went hunting all day Saturdayand we got a couple of coys but I really wanted to go on Sunday. My wife decided that I should spend the day with my family, endd up doing absolutely nothing except siting in the house and watching it snow. I love my family and all but I sure did miss some prime hunting.
The things I do to not have to give up half my stuff.

Thanks for all the responses. My buddy was out driving today and seen 5 or 6 just driving the roads and got one. He was calling me while I was at work and it was driving me nuts! I wanted to head home and do some calling but my wife would of killed me....

Back