17HMR vs 204 ruger

ssgt walsh

just want some thoughts on these 2 diffrent rounds. is one better than the other? looking at picking up a smaller weapon to start taking predators. currently have a 308 and am looking to get a weapon that shoots a smaller round. are these 2 large enough totake predators? just curious to find out some opinons before i commit to anything.

Originally Posted By: ruger243223your not really serious. The 17HMR is a nothing compared to the 204.

this is why i ask. i now nothing of the smaller rounds. always shot larger rounds ans figured i would ask.

WOW! no need to beat the guy up over a question. Its a relatively simple question.

The 17HMR is a great round....depending on what you plan to hunt and at what distance.

The .204 is a good step up and also has its limits.

If you are planning to hunt coyote size game i would highly recommend the .204 or larger. A .17HMR while capable of killing a coyote is not a good choice.

What do you plan to hunt with this gun?

I don't own any "weapons" but I have both in rifles. Hands down the .204 is a better "gun" for anything bigger than a prairie dog.

A little off topic since we all agree the .204 is the better choice of the two, including myself, having owned a .204 and .223 now imo if you reload the .204 and additionally the .22-250 they are excellent predator calibers. However, if you do not reload, premium ammo in .204 and .22-250 are relatively expensive. I would recommend .22-250 and additionally the .223. Also, i've found reloading for the .204 more finicky than the .224 calibers. A .223 would be much more versatile, you can shoot 36 gr pills clear up to 80 something depending on your barrel twist. Conversely, the .204 and .22-250 are superior in trajectory having less drop than the .223. Finally, a .204 isn't much more advantageous unless you shoot purely 32 gr points because the velocity is comparable to a .223 when shooting 40 gr bullets respectfully- just my 2 cents.

thanks joshk1234. good info. i was leaning toward a .223 but i found a .204 that i could pick up for 300 bucks. nice WEAPON (noun: something such as a knife,club, or gun used to injure, defeat or destroy) and for a good price, but they also have a 17hmr for around the same price. think i will just hold out and pick up a .223 since this is my primary choice anyway. just trying to get everyones opinion on the subject. i appreciate all of the answers.

Originally Posted By: skb2706I don't own any "weapons" but I have both in rifles. Hands down the .204 is a better "gun" for anything bigger than a prairie dog.

"This is my weapon, this is my gun. One is for killing, and one is for fun"....or something like that!

tt1.gif
tt1.gif

To really answer the initial question, tell us what you intend to use it for? What is adequate for ground squirrels at 75 yds. is a whole lot different than mountain lions at 200 yds. Both examples have their places but are truly like comparing a Kenworth to a Ford Ranger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: claimbusterOriginally Posted By: skb2706I don't own any "weapons" but I have both in rifles. Hands down the .204 is a better "gun" for anything bigger than a prairie dog.

"This is my weapon, this is my gun. One is for killing, and one is for fun"....or something like that!

tt1.gif
tt1.gif

To really answer the initial question, tell us what you intend to use it for? What is adequate for ground squirrels at 75 yds. is a whole lot different than mountain lions at 200 yds. Bot examples have their places but are truly like comparing a Kenworth to a Ford Ranger.

just looking for a good weapon to take coyotes with out here in the desert. have a mossberg 935 ultimag and a CZ 550 varmit in .308 but was looking for a smaller round for yotes and the occasional fox. the longest shot i am looking at taking is 300 yds. i am not looking to keep the furs, just want to go out and bust some yotes. dont need it for rabbits or prarie dogs.

Originally Posted By: claimbuster Bot examples have their places but are truly like comparing a Kenworth to a Ford Ranger. are they weapons too???
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bigdummy30Originally Posted By: claimbuster Bot examples have their places but are truly like comparing a Kenworth to a Ford Ranger. are they weapons too???
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Only when a woman is driving
lol.gif
tt2.gif

I hope you didn't confuse the 17HMR with some of the 17 cal centerfires. Although I don't have any experience with them I do find them kind of tempting. Gotta be cheap to reload getting a lot of mileage out of a pound of powder with those little cases. I've read a number of times that the 204 is finicky to reload for but I haven't found that to be the case at all. I've had 3 204's-one was a pos if you know what I mean-The other 2 produce nice accuracy with 4 different powders and 3 different bullets. I really like the 204. Dave

Originally Posted By: BUSCHYOriginally Posted By: bigdummy30Originally Posted By: claimbuster Bot examples have their places but are truly like comparing a Kenworth to a Ford Ranger. are they weapons too???
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Only when a woman is driving
lol.gif
tt2.gif

and if you are in her way.

Originally Posted By: DDJI hope you didn't confuse the 17HMR with some of the 17 cal centerfires. Although I don't have any experience with them I do find them kind of tempting. Gotta be cheap to reload getting a lot of mileage out of a pound of powder with those little cases. I've read a number of times that the 204 is finicky to reload for but I haven't found that to be the case at all. I've had 3 204's-one was a pos if you know what I mean-The other 2 produce nice accuracy with 4 different powders and 3 different bullets. I really like the 204. Dave

i am not looking to reload. i understand what you mean about the POS. thanks for the info though. now i am in a battle between .223 and .204

ssgt walsh, I too use a 30 caliber (300 Weatherby) for coyotes out here in SW Kansas. Most of my shots are around hopefully the 200 to 300 mark. I can sit in the middle of a piece of ground and see 1 mile in all 4 directions. I bought a 204 and I am learning that this little guy will make a believer out of a coyote at 300yds, depending on load of course. I had a 223 but couldn't get factory loads to the likeings of the rifle. Didn't want to load for the 223 so went with a Savage in the 204. I am going to try one and see, need something smaller anyways. Do some research on the 204, I think it will suprise you.

Originally Posted By: ssgt walshOriginally Posted By: claimbusterOriginally Posted By: skb2706I don't own any "weapons" but I have both in rifles. Hands down the .204 is a better "gun" for anything bigger than a prairie dog.

tt1.gif
tt1.gif

To really answer the initial question, tell us what you intend to use it for? What is adequate for ground squirrels at 75 yds. is a whole lot different than mountain lions at 200 yds. Bot examples have their places but are truly like comparing a Kenworth to a Ford Ranger.

just looking for a good weapon to take coyotes with out here in the desert. have a mossberg 935 ultimag and a CZ 550 varmit in .308 but was looking for a smaller round for yotes and the occasional fox. the longest shot i am looking at taking is 300 yds. i am not looking to keep the furs, just want to go out and bust some yotes. dont need it for rabbits or prarie dogs.

One more question that I forgot earlier. Do you reload or intend to start reloading?

I know I'll get a lot of underwear all knotted up around here again, but your answer rules out the 17HMR, IMHO.

However, if you are just starting out, and particularly if you don't roll your own, be sure to keep the 223 in the running. It may not be as "cool" as some calibers; however, it is pretty hard to beat for a lot of reasons.

Back