***December HOM*** It's time to vote!

cbosshog79

Alright guys, it's time to vote on the HOM for the month of December. I am not going to run this as long as I did last time but we will let it go through Wednesday 1/6/2009.

Check out the donations we had lined up for this month at the following link. As always I want to thank these guys for their generousity as none of this would be possible without them.

December HOM Donations...

We've got a full house this month of very good hunts and write-ups and a wide range of animals at that...

1. One Stand and a Couple of Firsts

2. I Shouldn't Have Shot the Coyote

3. He's Hooked!

4. Bubba and Dash, the Dynamic Duo! The Final Chapter.

5. A weekend to remember.. 2 days, 16 coyotes down. THE END!!!!!!

6. A rare opportunity...

7. Today I got my first triple with a rifle! Pictures

8. A Very Memorable 2009 Deer Season

9. Hunter's first coyote and hog all in one night

10 First Alaskan Wolf-Story and Pictures

11. Black Wolf Down

Originally Posted By: getemcloseSome real winner entries this month!

thumbup.gif
You're not kidding! We had a few members who made some real accomplishments both in the predator world as well as big game hunting. Some really impressive stuff...

Hey guys don't forget to vote!

Also, please remember to check out our members and sponsors that have donated for the month...

The winner this month will receive one free skull cleaning and whitening for a coyote, bobcat or a fox from Switch... I'm sure that a few of you could use their services as well!

picture122-208x112.jpg

Predator Skulls Inc.

Predator Skulls Inc.
Dermestid Inc.
Screen Name: Switch
Name: Tim Hovey

We also have an outstanding video from TBR Outdoors this month. They were very gracious in the Christmas story thread, and have already handed out several video's this month. For any of you that haven't seen their product you really need to check it out...

produc1.jpg

TBR Outdoors
15813 Sugar Plum Road
Kearney, Missouri 64060
Travis Trieb - (816) 204-4628
Clay Boan - (913) 271-3508
Richie Rhea - (816) 392-9204
TBR Outdoors

Need a custom call or lanyard???

Check out MCWALK and our other fine craftsmen in the custom calls and accessories forums...

100_2408.jpg

FW707
Screen Name: fw707
Name: Jeff Preston
Email: jlpddp@bigsandybb.com
Phone: 606-789-4034

Walk Predator Calls
Name: M.Chad Walk
Address: 272 Earles Rd. Rural Retreat, VA 24368
Screen name: MCWALK
Email: mcwalk@embarqmail.com
Phone: 276-686-9078

Originally Posted By: MCWALKVoted...Get your votes in guys...Your doing a great job with this Cody....
thumbup.gif

i second that! great job handling all of this! doing a great job!

Well boys the votes are in and the winner is Knapper for his story "A Rare Opportunity".

It really says alot about the people here when this kind of story wins over some once in a lifetime type hunts, it kinda makes me proud... Congrats to Knapper; he deserves a really big pat on the back for getting a young one out for a hunt and getting him on a coyote, this is just a bonus!

Thanks to everyone who contributed and voted, you guys put on a good show this month!

Knapper's story can be found below...

**************************************************************************************************************************************

I had a rare and great opportunity this past weekend. I called a friend to see if he wanted to get out and do some calling with me on Saturday and he asked if it would be alright if he brought along his seven year old son. I was happy to bring him along and I told my friend that if the coyote hunting got to be too slow, we could try and scare up some rabbits as well. He told me he would be thrilled if we could even call one in that his son could see. As the weekend got closer, the weather was not looking promising, but on Friday night, we decided to give it a go anyway.

I stopped by to pick them up at 6am and after breakfast was done, we headed out to one of my favorite areas. Unfortunately, the wind was already howling at around 20mph and it was snowing pretty steady even though the forecast only called for 20 percent after noon. We turned off the pavement a little after 7:00 and headed for the first stand. Apparently it was meant to be, because everything worked perfect for about the next 15 minutes.

As soon as we stepped out of my Jimmy, it stopped snowing and the wind died down to about 10mph. We hiked over a couple of sand dunes and set up with me calling cross-wind and my friend and his son looking down-wind. I blew one series on my custom ArkyYoter rabbit distress call and I heard a shot from over my shoulder! I turned just in time to see the coyote spinning in circles at about 70 yards. No more than 30 or 40 seconds had passed from when I first started calling…
ohmy.gif

After we sat down, my friend got his boy situated with his .22 magnum. He reminded him to hold still and keep his head up and a sharp eye out. When I started calling, my friend started scanning around, only to hear his son whisper, “Hey Dad, there’s one!” The boy actually saw the coyote first! Sure enough we had a young male running in from just over the next dune. It closed to about 70 yards and my friend told his boy, “Get your gun ready.” When he lifted the rifle up, the coyote saw the movement and stopped, facing them square on. My friend whispered, “You better shoo…” and bang, the gun went off. He drilled that coyote right at the base of the throat with his .22 mag at 70 yards! It was a perfect shot!

09-12-12CESandDune-b.jpg

I am not sure who was more excited, my friend or his son! I don’t think he ever expected him to get a shot, let along nail it! After many cheers and high-fives, we took some pictures and headed on to the next stand. Unfortunately the wind came back with a vengeance and we had to give up on the calling. We did manage to scare up a rabbit for his boy to round out the day.

Sometimes it is hard for a youngster to be patient and sit still in a stand, and it is even harder for us adults to be patient with the youngster, but in this case everything worked out perfect and I am sure we are well on our way to producing one more future coyote hunter and hunting advocate.
thumbup1.gif

09-12-12CESandDune-a.jpg

Here is one more picture of one very excited little boy!

Knapper

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Oh wow! Thank you for the nomination and thank you all for voting. This is going to make a young man happy all over again. I hope the next story will be about the coyote he called in with that beautiful custom call! We also saved the skull when we skinned his coyote, so it will be a nice touch to have it cleaned up for him. I second what Cody said above... It is nice to see support and interest in getting young hunters involved in the sport. Thank you again for your support.

Knapper

Back