accurizing a ruger 77/17?????

ICU22-250

Got a 17 ruger that shoots ok at 50 yards but like crap at 100. Changed out the trigger to a jard 1lb job and love the trigger. Just wondering if going to a shilen factory diameter barrel would help or is there some other tricks of the trade?? If not thinking of ordering a shilen 22wmr instead...

What model is it ? Rugers are really picky about what they shoot, try some CCI, Remmington or Hornady ballistic tips. Have you checked everything to make sure its tight, bottom metal, scope rings ect ? If you are still having problems there are several things you can try. First bed the action and float the barrel if it isnt all ready, the all weather and VZ should already be but you can run a dollar bill down it to check. The standard 77/22 with a walnut stock will have a pressure pad towards the end of the barrel between the barrel and the stock, sometimes moving it around until you find the sweet spot will improve you groups. I just find it easier and more effective to float them. Rugers have a 2 piece bolt that can be sloppy and effect accuracy. This can be fixed by shimming the bolt between usually around .002 and .005 will do the job. If none of this works you might as well just give it away, call me and I will give you my address, LOL!!!

Good luck, Stan

I bought one several years ago from a local gun shop that someone had traded in. Someone had done a trigger job on it and I liked that, but it would not consistantly shoot well at 100 yards. I bought this as a ground squirrel gun and this just was not going to do.

After a bit of checking, I bought me a Volquartsen barrel for it. I was not sure that I wanted to spend $200 for a match barrel for it hoping that it would fix the problem, but it did make it into a fine shooter for sure. I HAVE shot (cant do it all the time, alas) a whole 9 shot magazine into a nickel size group at 100 yards. Sounds like minute of whistlepig to me.

The barrel was an easy swap and made a good shooting gun into a great shooting gun. That's the kind I like to keep in my safe.

The rifle I have is the standard walnut stock 17 hmr. Volquartsen makes a barrel for this rifle? I've been looking in my midway book and mostly all they have in a factory size barrel is a shilen. Where did u find yours??? Stanimal2 I have tried just about all the ammo u can buy and at 50 the fmj shoots the best.. A 17 should wallow out a hole at 50 with polymer tipped shells in most cases but not mine.. I've never bedded an action and don't really even know where to start. I appreciate the tips guys if u think of anything else let me know..

ICU22-250 Midway USA has some free how to videos on their site that may help, also go to rimfire central they have tons of info. If you are sure everything is tight then I think even if you dont bed the action I bet if you sand out the barrel channel (float it)so the barrel doesnt touch the wood anywhere all the way to the action it will improve the groups. Also while you have it apart check the 2 allen screws that hold the barrel on,make sure it is lined up correctly and that they are tight. If that doesnt do it then I would say spend the money on a barrel as a last resort. I have heard some good things about the Green Mountain barrels to for about half the price of a Shilen and the have factory contour to.

Good luck, Stan

Can't speak directly for a Ruger "77/17". But if thats an M77 in .17 caliber, I might suggest you consider getting it glass bedded and free floated. I have three M77's in varying calibers (.22-250, .308 and 30-06). All have very accurate barrels. If you don't know how to do it, find someone or a gunsmith who will do it. It's probably cheaper than a new Shilen barrel. Just remember one thing, there are only two kinds of Ruger barrels.....good ones and bad ones. I was fortunate in getting good barrels.

Thanx guys for all the good info. I'll more than likely try floating the barrel first (after I check it of course) If that don't work shilen here I come... Got to much invested to just let it go and I really like the way the ruger rimfire actions function and the amount of shells the magazine's hold. I think they are one of the best and not to mention they are'nt cheap either.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC77MZ

This is the barrel that I have. 204Dude on this forum has it on his M77/17 as well. It has tagged many a squirrel. Early this coming summer, I hope to use it on a few prairie dogs. At least those under 150 yards or so. It seems such a waste to use centerfires on the closer ones. Too many I shot with a .22 rimfire are able to make it to their holes before dying.

Shooting a 17hmr at 100yards can be dissapointing to say the least, with a 10mph wind you are looking at 3in drift. Be sure you have a good day to shoot, and dont let the wind make the gun look bad. ed

You guys are right the wind has a big influence on the hmr. I don't think the wind is my problem though. I checked my barrel clearance from my stock this evening and there is absolutely zero. I think I need to float my barrel. I guess I'll invest in some sandpaper and do it myself.. Any suggestions on what grit paper I need.

Originally Posted By: tuneredShooting a 17hmr at 100yards can be dissapointing to say the least, with a 10mph wind you are looking at 3in drift. Be sure you have a good day to shoot, and dont let the wind make the gun look bad. ed

I would have to argue this...

[beeep] I killed a ground hog last summer at 268 yards with my CZ 17hmr and that was laser,d I cant understand all the post I hear about them being a 100 or 150 yard gun at best. That gun will do it, maybe people need to work on their shooting skills. Yea you need to make a good shot but isnt that what we are supposed to do !!!!!!

Stan

Wind values on a 17 are no different than on a 22 mag. And a 17 has the
same remaining energy at 200 yards as a 22 long rifle. From there it seems
to retain it's accuracy but energy falls off the chart.
I agree with the statement on ruger barrels, if you've got a bad one nothing
on this earth is going to make it shoot. I jumped through every hoop with a
77/22 trying to make it shoot and finally bought a barrel, which is what I should have done in the first place.

One thing that was not mentioned that when I have been shooting at ground squirrels at around 200 yards with my .17 Hummer is simply that when you miss (yes I said it. I miss at times!) that little 17 grain pill kicks up very little dirt. Hard to see your misses. Actually, a .22 lr will kick up more dust at that distance.

I think that a .17 HMR is a squirrel rifle delux. Closer hits are instant carnage. Was shooting one time with 204Dude and he popped one with his .17 that was just a wee bit too close. He was wearing whistlepig innards for the rest of the day. Hee hee. Next time, administer the coup de grâce with a .22, or better yet a rock.

Back