aluminum handguard cold weather cover?

coyotewillie

Does anyone cover your aluminum handguard with anything when you're calling in the cold? I just built an AR that I was going to use for calling. A YHM 16" upper, with the diamond cut bbl and handguards. I didn't realize a handguard could get SO cold! I've used AR's before with the solid freefloat aluminum handguards, but I don't remember them getting as cold as this one. Darn near froze my hand today calling, figure I'm going to have to wrap it the next time I'm out (tomorrow!). Greg

cheap fix for you , vet wrap, makes a huge diff and it gives you a very nice firm no slide grip as well . I love it . wish i had done it years ago .
P1010003.jpg

I had my wife get me some camo fleece fabric from a craft store. A yard or two of the material goes a long way and keeps the handguard comfortable to hold. MI VHNTR

You also don't realize how loud aluminum handguards are until you get out in the woods and bump into something. Camo vet wrap would be my choice.

At one time a mfg. was offering a stretch on rubber sleeve for the aluminum tubes. I tried to find one left in stock with no luck. I would sure like to see someone start making them again.

Reb8600: You must have better gloves than I'm wearing....usually wear rag wool gloves with a liner in them. My hands usually get too warm with them on, but at -5 windchill the other day, my hand got cold enough to start hurting. Never had that problem with my Browning Micro. Went out today so I used the white vet wrap, had a couple of rolls here, just hadn't used it yet. Did help a lot to cut down on the cold radiating out. Now if I could just see a dog! Rifles still unfired at fur yet. Greg

Back