Live trapping coyotes

kates

I want to take a spin at catching a coyote in a live trap. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or hints? Thanks!

I agree. Few coyotes are caught in live traps as they are too wary of their surroundings to get in one.

Mark Zepp has a picture of one he caught out by his home. The lure that enticed the coyote to throw caution to the wind and crawl in... a sub sandwich.

i'll bet you that you can count the no. of coyo's caught in cages each season on your fingers and toes.. and that is nationally!

get some offset footholds to catch them live...

unless you just fancy trying to get one in a cage.. LOL

bottom line.. i am betting you get highly discouraged.. especially if there is snow... you'll see them work your cage from 10 yards downwind..and leave a pile of poo and some pee there for ya..LOL

I have never tried this, but if I did I would want to use watermellon for bait. From everything I've heard and seen, coyotes have a hard time resisting watermellons. It's like meth for coyotes.

We used eggs for live traps but were mostly after coons and anything else that would prey on pheasants or their eggs. We did catch a young yote though in a live trap. It was about the size of a coon. Never heard of anyone else doing it though.

A guy here caught some a few years back using 5 gallon buckets. Don't know what he used for bait, but cut the bottom of bucket like slices of pizza and staked the buckets down. When the coyotes stuck their heads in through the cuts they could not pull head back out. He was selling them to coyote pens for run for pleasure.

LOL, seeing this makes me laugh, because I've tried many of times catching yotes in live traps, and no luck! Tried for almost 3 years, now I just use live traps for coons mostly, maybe next year I will get me some foot hold traps to try out, but usually I like to hunt them and then shoot them!

I love a challenge, and next year I WILL catch a coyote in a live trap. I will build a couple over the summer and be ready by winter. I don't expect it to be easy, but I think I can do it.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTQuanBn.jpg

Thought you guys would enjoy seeing this picture, I sure did! Its in the new fur-game-fish mag, used sardines to get raccoons away from the bird feeder and caught a young yote in the live trap, pretty sweet I think!

That's a close up of a natural born rabbit, fawn, groundhog, and anything else killing machine. Even at that young age, he can get the job done.

I had a property manager call me asking for help with a coyote that was getting into the chickens, After almost a full month of waiting all night long we could not get to coyote, never even seen him, every couple nights he would come in after we left or maybe while we were there and snag a chicken. I finally decided to try and live trap him. used live chickens but for two weeks he would never go in. My grandfather told me to use sour milk and salmon eggs. We caught him on the first night. I could not believe it.

i bought one of thoughs Easy-Up Giants its a colapsable live traps for large dogs, bobcats, and coyotes well i caught a coyote in it a few weeks after i got it and it tore right out of it like was nothing at all i usedan egg and some stuff i bought at Academy for baiting for predator hunting i knew it was a coyote cause its tracks and hair was everywere

Caught this guy last winter in a trap set for bobcats. The trap was visited the week before (tracks in the snow, not sure if it was the same yote). This guy was also a bit small and "oddfurred", maybe malnourished? But still a yote in a cage trap! I'm going to try and set some cages for yotes this year to see what I can learn.
001.jpg

getting a coyote to go in a live trap is all about how you conceal it. live chickens work great as long as you do it right. around the actually cage you need to but tree limbs and such so that it looks more like a (cave) rather than just a metal trap. ive hear of some people putting a black trash bag around it so make it dark works great on live traps for coons to.

well im new on this site, but i been on trapper man, and i saw where alot of guys dont think you can catch coyotes in box traps, i have caught many, and have pics to back it up, im not gonna argue that sure steel traps you will catch alot more but 4 years ago i had a dozen steel traps set and several box traps i caught 6 yotes in box traps and 7 in steel that year, and i usually catch several yotes every year when i trap, and i have caught a fox, which we dont have very many,when i can figure out how to add pics i would love to share thanks

Back