Remington Model 7...thoughts.

Kirby01

Traded my AR today, just was not my cup of tea. Picked up a model 7 in .223. Owners what do you think of yours, how is accuracy? Thanks Kirby

As a hunting rifle, the Ar's aren't my thing either. I do like them though.

Kirby - I have an older Model 7 in 17Rem. and it has been a really good shooter. It shoots slightly smaller groups than my Rem 700 in 17 and almost as good as a custom 788 in 17Rem. that I have. Pillar bedding the action and free floating the barrel didn't improve it any, but it didn't hurt it either. They are a nice handling rifle and most of the ones I know have shot real well.

Good luck with yours.

Originally Posted By: Kirby01Traded my AR today, just was not my cup of tea. Picked up a model 7 in .223. Owners what do you think of yours, how is accuracy? Thanks Kirby

I have a Model 7 in 223; it's the CDL model with the nice stock.
First thing I did with it was to free float the barrel, then I did a trigger job on it.
There are several loads that now shoot 3 shots into less than 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I used a Weaver V-16 set at 16x for load testing. I only shoot 52 grain bullets, or lighter. Has a 20" barrel which makes for a very handy rifle. I sure like it..
thumbup1.gif

I have the model 7 stainless model in .243 and I love it. Shoots great too. But like stated above. I too had a trigger job done and free floated the barrel and now that little gun is a tack driver. You will love it to hunt with. Very light and compact.

I sighted in a buddys, model 7 in 300WSM, I liked it! They shoot great, small and light. (Kinda how I like my women, now that I think about it)

I've got a 204 in the CDL. I wasn't to sure about it for a while, caliber wise, but now I'm really starting to like it. Nice and light, throw it in the backpack and carry the shotgun. I haven't done any vigorous load development but have found several that shoot under 1 MOA so I can gladly use those for coyotes. I'll use the heavier guns for PD's for the most part.

As Bluedeacon noted, having small, light ones are nice, I just tend to wind up with those that aren't so light.
ohmy.gif

The one I bought was the camo version for predators. Shot it today, love it. 200yds seperates the men from the boys though. Thanks Kirby

I have three model 7's one in 7MM-08 another in .243 and just recently bought a new predator in 22-250.And so far I cant say enough good about them with some load development to find what each seems to prefer they have all been accurate. Nice and light to pack all day.

I have a Model 7 Predator in 223. Took it out of the box, adjusted the trigger to 40 ounces, put a scope on it, and found a couple of loads it liked....exceptional accuracy for a lightweight rifle. I love mine.

I have a M7 in 223, the one with the laminate stock. All I did to it was adjust the trigger. My favorite rifle. Shoots very well. I did not care for the color of the laminate stock so I sanded it down, stained it with a Forest Green stain and then hand rubbed it with Linseed Oil. Turned out pretty cool. I do not like shiny stocks.

I've had a couple of M7s in 223 and one in 243. IMHO, the only drawback to them is the selection/availability of aftermarket stocks. All in all, they are very nice rifles. MI VHNTR

Originally Posted By: MI VHNTRI've had a couple of M7s in 223 and one in 243. IMHO, the only drawback to them is the selection/availability of aftermarket stocks. All in all, they are very nice rifles. MI VHNTR

There really aren't many good stocks around for the Model Seven are there? I like my M7 Predator a bunch. The only thing I can really complain about is the flimsy factory stock. I think that is why it tends to be finicky about loads. I thought of buying a better stock and bedding it, but the selection is pretty limited.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: MI VHNTRI've had a couple of M7s in 223 and one in 243. IMHO, the only drawback to them is the selection/availability of aftermarket stocks. All in all, they are very nice rifles. MI VHNTR

There really aren't many good stocks around for the Model Seven are there? I like my M7 Predator a bunch. The only thing I can really complain about is the flimsy factory stock. I think that is why it tends to be finicky about loads. I thought of buying a better stock and bedding it, but the selection is pretty limited.

Keep your eye out for one of the wood ones on Ebay or this board and problem solved. They usually sell pretty cheap.

I built a Rem. 700 last year and used the HTS stock on it. The rifle has a 20" #1 contour barrel on it, so it's like a M7, but lighter. They are very nice stocks, but require some work to finish. MI VHNTR

I have the Predator Version with a coyote special. It will hold 3 shots in a dime at 100 yds. Shot it at 300 this weekend, 3" group of a bi-pod. I say good enough.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I have the Predator Version with a coyote special. It will hold 3 shots in a dime at 100 yds. Shot it at 300 this weekend, 3" group of a bi-pod. I say good enough.

Same setup here.

Model 7 Predator in .17 FB and the 4.5x14 Coyote Special.

Back