Fixed Power Scopes?

reloadmike78

Anyone using them? What are the pro/cons for them. I have "too big" of a scope on my AR(Bauch and Lomb 6-18)now and I have a Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32 that I thought about putting on there. Or selling them both and getting something completely different.

What do you all think? Thanks

Reload

I like them, they have less parts and are generally brighter. That being said I only own 1 because the variables are more adaptable to changing conditions.

I wish more high end scope manufacturers like Leupold, Ziess, Swarovsky would offer fixed 10X and 12X scopes with 30 MM tubes and 40 and 50 MM obj. On my Sakos my 22-250 and 220 Swift I have fixed Ziess 10 X 36 that are no longer available. I have no problem killing an animal that comes in close. I have fur in the scope and 9 out of 10 times whatever it is dies. Grizz

Thanks for the replies gang, got the answers I thought I would. Guess I'll be selling these, look for them in the classifieds soon if you are interested.

That's kinda where I was going with this subject and I wanted some others opinions on the matter. If I do put one on my AR it will not be my only option for rifles. I do have a 22-250 and I'm looking to put a different upper on my Bushy SBR 10.5 for another "back up" gun.

What's your experience with the fixed? And why do you choose that over a variable. Terrain where you live?

Over the last 10 years I've been switching over from variable power scopes to fixes powers.
I found that when I went hunting with a variable scope, I always had it set at some intermediate power, and it stayed there. So, the question was, why have a varible scope when it's always set at one power?
Many optical benefits of fixed power scopes over variables, like better light transmition, less moving parts, and less costly.
Whoever mentioned above that the big scope makers should make fixed power scopes in 10x and 12x is RIGHT ON.
thumbup.gif

But, the reality is, those scope makers are dropping any fixed power scopes that they did make in favor of variables, rather than adding new ones of higher power, sadly.
I know that Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss and Swarivski dropped their fixed 4x and 6x scopes from their line-up. I have a S&B 4x36, a Swaro PF 6x42, and a Swaro 8x56 that are superb scopes, far and away better than any vairiable power scope set at these powers.
It's a sad situation, as the image from a fix power scope, given identical glass/coatings, is always better than the variable; same power setting with the variable.
I think that Weaver, and Bushnell have fixed power scopes in 10x; I just have no experience with them.

I have a number of guns set up with fixed power scopes, 1.5x on some fast handling big bores for the tag alder and cedar swamps of northern WI and MN,plus a couple of 3x and 4x rigs. Most of my go to hunting rigs have low power variables 1x4x20 or 1.5x6x40's on them.

Why restrict youself to such a limited FOV, 17'-6x and 24'-4x when you can have 67'-1.5x and 75'-1x and still have the higher X's if needed.

I keep my scopes all set at the lowest setting, I do alot of pred calling and have a good chance of having a coyote or cat pop out of the brush just beyond my feet or a whitetail stand up out of a bed 20yrds fom me as I'm still hunting. If the animal is far enough away that I need more X's to make the shot there is plenty of time to turn up the power to make the shot.

With todays coatings and glass my low power variable give up so little in light transmission that the benifits far out weight that.

Fixed powers have there place on the target range but why handicap yourself with one in the field.

AWS

A fixed 6x40 is a great scope have one on my Thompson Encore and my wife has been trying to take ownership of it because she likes the fit and the scope. For some reason ther are more older fixed power scopes that are on top of guns than there are variables in my area. Maybe just coencidence but the folds that have them won't give them up either. They must might just be on to something.

Less glass to "filter" out the light is certainly a big advantage as well as simplicity and durability as mentioned above. One other issue and the main reason the military stayed with fixed powers for so long is the fact that there is no shift in zero which all variables eventually do. The tube inside that moves back and forth to give you the zoom feature will not stay centered forever. It wears and althought the difference is slight in most cases it still can be a detriment at long range. This might take a while to manifest in a scope used for hunting occasionally but imagine one used daily and being zoomed hundreds of times a month. For me as a hunter/shooter it's the fact that no matter what the zoom capability I always just zoom it up to the highest one and leave it there...eventually I quit buying variables but have a few to get the other features only available on certain ariables. There is not a scope made out of my reach, night vision included but without exception if given the choice all my variables would be fixed instead.

I have straight 6 powers on my AR (coyote gun), Tikka 308, (deer rifle) straight 4 power on my 300 H&H (elk rifle) and straight 10 power on my back up long range match rifle (which although is supposedly not enough for 1000K, I've shot my best score with it.)
And I agree with everyone above, for all the same reasons. Not saying I don't have, variables, but the ones that I do are Front Focal Plane, high end scopes. Keep at it, they work well.

In essence many of our "variable" powered scopes are being used as fixed power scopes anyway. Case in point can be myself. I use all Burris scopes with either a Ballistic Plex or a Ballistic Mildot. They're used on whatever power the Mildots are calibrated for otherwise the holdover will not be correct. On the signature (6-24x) it's left on 14 power and on the Fullfield (3-9x)it's 9 power. I never move them for shooting....only if I'm wanting to zoom in for a closer look while they're coming in or zoom out a little more for more light transmission to see them coming at night. BUT I always, always go back to the calibrated zoom setting for the ballistic reticles before making the shot.

I would LOVE to see a 12x or 10x fixed with the Ballistic Reticles. Light transmission for a lot of coyote hunters is essential because many of us hunt at night as well as during the day. It would allow us to afford better quality glass at a lesser price as well. Just my .02, or more like .10 cents. Sorry it got so long winded.

Last edited:
There are three scopes that are favorites of mine.

Leupold FX3 6x42 fixed power with Long Range Duplex
http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Riflescope-P12758.aspx

Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP Mil / Mil
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

Trijicon 2.5-10x56
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-25-10x56-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12880.aspx
Note - you can trade in scopes you have toward something else http://www.samplelist.com/tradeinform.aspx

For an AR I would get a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 and I might buy it from La Rue Tactical to get the discount on the La Rue mount. There are lots of places you can get the same stuff but Ive had real good luck with SWFA and La Rue.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=141

In my neck of the woods, I usually have the scope set on 6x or less so I can shoot at close range due to the field of vision. It is nice to be able to zoom in on a hung up coyote out at a distance. I think a 4x16 would be ideal if it were not too big in size. I have a 3x10 and a 3x9 on my two rigs. I do use a 4x on an elk rifle but they are much larger targets.

Originally Posted By: kilk14In essence many of our "variable" powered scopes are being used as fixed power scopes anyway.

Right on!!!
thumbup1.gif

I have several scopes that are variables, and I bought them because of the high quaility glass the have.
Examples are, the Leupold VX-7 and their VX-3, as well as one Zeiss Conquest. If these scope makers had made fixed power scopes with the same optics as the variables have, I would have bought the fixed.
I do treat them like they are fixed by leaving the power at one setting.

Back