Fur values....fox vs. coyote

stc

I'm fairly new here but I have noticed that most of the talk is about coyote's.I realize that coyote hunting seems to be a tougher task than fox,but after checking the fur value(here in pa)it is less for a coyote than for a fox.Seems to me that fox is a more valuable take.fox =$12to$30 coyote= less than $20.Do most of the hunters here skin and dry thier furs before sale?Also is there any sites that show the proper skinning techniques for fox,yotes?Thanks fellas,I appreciate the info

stc

The best thing I have ever seen on fur handling was a DVD that I bought last year from www.allpredatorcalls.com it showed every detail on about every animal. Practical Fur Handling is the DVD you want. Over 5 hours of how to, but you can skip whatever you want and go directly to what applies.

Coyotes are a bigger challenge and make for better filming for DVDs. Easier marketing, this drives the desire to call them, it looks so easy on video/DVD. Here in the east where we are, they are a true trophy due to their lower population and tougher habitat to call. Fox are more plentiful but harder to video in this habitat that we have.

The fur market has dropped alot over the last couple years. it fluctuates alot. People hunt what they have, not what the fur market dictates. I personally prefer fox because of the mere numbers and fast action. Although I wouldn't pass up a coyote if he came to my call.

If you are in it for the value of the fur, then get some snares and leg hold traps and get after it. More volume, less fur damage that way too. Otherwise just appreciate and enjoy what that mouthcall brings you and take pride in fooling them.

I will second the Practical Fur Handling DVD. Very well done and should give you a lot of confidence in doing a good job. There are a number of ways to sell furs depending on your fur buyer or fur auction. You may be able to find someone who will buy the whole carcass, just a skinned pelt, a fleshed/stretched/dried pelt, etc.

Here are a couple of links you may find interesting on skinning coyotes:
Coyote skinning
Coyote skinning and fleshing from NY Trappers

Current pelt values are so low that I doubt even the most hard core trappers are making anything after deducting fuel, time, vehicle wear and tear, etc.

Coyotes are much more plentiful here in my part of NY and have done quite a job in displacing the fox populations. There is a lot more to furs than just species - for example - red fox get bleached later in the season and the quality of the fur can go down, early coyotes may not have the nice long guard hairs, late coyotes can have many guard hairs "rubbed" from being ripped out after getting frozen in the snow where they lay. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, you won't see $80 this year - here's a link to the local fur auction held this past weekend for an idea of prices in the area around Albany NY: NY Trappers Fulton-Montgomery Fur Auction results

pkhunter - I don't think fox are more skittish to calls because of coyotes, but they are probably more careful to avoid spots where a coyote could catch them. I hunted two nights ago and after a big mistake and a loud 12-ga. boom on a nice coyote I had a grey fox come out not 20 minutes later into the same field. He obviously didn't like the smell of my footprints in the snow from when I got up to check for blood on the coyote, so I never got a shot at him.

I might be wrong .I might just think I'm not old.That price was probably '79-'81.Don't think I'll ever see fox go for that again

Back