243 WSSM AR-15

Trapper Luke

I am seriously thinkin bout havin Dtech build me a 243 WSSM but have heard good and bad on this cailber. What are your guys opionions on the 243 WSSM? Good or bad?

Thanks,
Luke

From the guys i have talked to everyone of them really like theres. No one has had a function problem with theres and one guy just ordered two more from d-tec. I dont see a problem at all if a guy runs 75gr and bigger bullets. Now if you running 55gr then yea i can see it haveing short barrel life.

I rec'd one about 2-3 months ago, 22" Oly fluted barrel. I have been extremely pleased so far and I have shot it maybe 20-30 times doing break-in and some prelim. load development. As stated earlier I am concentrating upon 80-95 grain bullets and have not loaded to max. An additional benefit for me with the .243 WSSM was that I already had a .243 Ruger bolt and I could use the same bullets and minimize my reloading stocks.

I would order another one in a heartbeat. Great all purpose cartridge. Coyote, deer, etc. Very satisfied with my purchase and Mike is a great guy to deal with.

Good luck in your choice.

Whats not to love about a semi auto thats accurate and sends 55 grain bullets out at aroudd 4000 fps? I know, I know barrel burner and all that but still what a combination!

That was the main thing that I've heard bad bout about on the 243 WSSM is that they will burn a barrel pretty fast. Now I've already got a 204 and 22-250 that I use for predators and a 270 for deer and elk the 243 isnt really needed but I just want an AR-15
smile.gif
would still probably take it out shootin coyotes and use it for deer on occasion too, I mainly just want an AR-15 to have one. I was wantin to shoot a heavier bullet anyways somewhere in the 90s probably. And if ya shot heavy bullets they wont burn a bullet up as fast right?

i know a guy who gots one, have fun modifying the mags, you have to smooth (grind) the lower bolt lug so it don't ruin your brass, pay close attention when reloading cause you don't get much brass life unless you anneal. on top of all these issues he's had, he cant get the high dollar match barrel to goup any better than 3 minutes @ 100M, unless he uses 75gr bullets. go for it if you want, just sayin.

I have one one order from dtech plan on shooting 55gr bullets, 1/12 twist,20 inch with the compensator.
It will be used for yotes and should shoot like a laser.I dought I will ever shot that many yotes to burn out a barrel in my life time and if I do I will put a big superman S on my chest.

Love mine, also a D-Tech. I used it to shoot my doe antelope this fall. Loaded some 85 gr. partitions and it was one shot DRT at a little over 200 yards.
I'm using 75 gr. HP's for coyotes loaded at the lower end of the powder spectrum, just 'cause I found a good accurate load there and stopped load development, 'cause I ain't into "fast" bullets, as long as they're accurate. Killed 9 coyotes with it so far. I do still prefer my .204 D-Tech for coyote calling, but I just had to try the .243 wizzer.
I've not had one single issue with mine as far as feeding and fireing. Mike will send one "modified" mag. with the rifle, and I'm sure would send more if requested. I modified a 10 rd. mag. for mine because a 10 rd. will only hold 4 rds. of wssm., making my rifle "big game" compliant here in CO. It wasn't hard to modify the magazine.
I've got brass that I have loaded twice and plan on trying to reload them a thrid time, without annealing them. No doubt that the brass is thick in the neck and shoulder, and at some point will probably be best to anneal to soften the necks and shoulders up so that they are easier to full length re-size.

Originally Posted By: skinneyi know a guy who gots one, have fun modifying the mags, you have to smooth (grind) the lower bolt lug so it don't ruin your brass, pay close attention when reloading cause you don't get much brass life unless you anneal. on top of all these issues he's had, he cant get the high dollar match barrel to goup any better than 3 minutes @ 100M, unless he uses 75gr bullets. go for it if you want, just sayin.

I have never used Mike's products (DTech) nor have I ever fired a WSSM in an AR, so take this for what it's worth. I think the 3moa is not the norm. Most of what I have read states the rifles from Dtech shoot great. I think your friend is not doing something right. Whether it be his loading or his shooting skills.

I currently own 4 AR's and I plan to add a .243 WSSM from DTech to the lineup eventually. My AR's (Bushy Varminter, 2 16" Carbines, and .308 AP4) all shoot under 1 MOA with handloads. I would suspect that the WSSM would do about the same, maybe better with the match barrel. I have read stories of people only being able to get 3 moa out of their AR's but these have typically been barrels with 10,000+ plus rounds through them...

Last edited:
I have never read any one haveing accuracy problems with a d-tec and from what i have read about mike at d-tec is if your friend has one that is not accurate mike will want to see it. He stands behind his rifles solid as a rock. If memory serves me right i think mike wrote something awhile back out of all the wssm he has sold he has yet to have one come back with a shoot out barrel. I have a 243wssm d-tec on the way and i cant wait to get it.

My concern with the WSSM would be the magazines. If you were to go DPMS they make a .243 on the larger AR-10 type reciever that uses the same mag as the .308 - think Id rather go standard .243 easier to find brass & mags and plenty of gun for most uses. If you really needed more gun the 243WSSM wouldnt be enough. Really fast bullets are hard on barrel life.

Originally Posted By: UrimaginaryfrndMy concern with the WSSM would be the magazines. If you were to go DPMS they make a .243 on the larger AR-10 type reciever that uses the same mag as the .308 - think Id rather go standard .243 easier to find brass & mags and plenty of gun for most uses. If you really needed more gun the 243WSSM wouldnt be enough. Really fast bullets are hard on barrel life.

Problem with the AR-10 in 243 is the weight. they weigh or feel like it any way quit a bit more then the AR-15 thay are king of bulky to me.

It's quite Humorous to read these responses like "I know someone that has one of those" or "I've heard this or that about it and you are just asking for problems" yada, yada, yada and as it turns out, they really don't have a friggen clue of what they are talking about.

If you really want a WSSM upper, call Mike, he'll set you up with one that will, well, once you shoot it, you'll very quickly find out for yourself that those "that know someone and he has problems", really has little or absolutely nothing to offer. Mike builds a very high quality AR, Period.

OMG...DANGER....DANGER
scared.gif
MAGAZINES WHERE DO I FIND MAGAZINES??
scared.gif

Don't fear the "MAGAZINE NIGHTMARE MONSTER" it happens to be a very simple adjustment to a standard 20 round mag and a little smoothing of the follower, I've done several and it takes about 5 minutes.

They don't wear out barrels any faster than a standard 243.

They shoot with eye popping accuracy and function as smooth as any standard AR15.

The brass is thick and lasts forever, however, it is important to resize properly for proper feed and function.

The brass is easily available from many sources, Cabela's, seems to always have some in stock.

Yes I have one, I love it, it's several years old and gets fired on a very regular basis. It will still shoot under 1/2 MOA when I do my part. It kills coyotes and deer with real authority. No it's not a DTECH it's just a plain old Oly Arms but it works very well, always has. It feeds anything I put through it. The WSSM calibers are the kick azz setup for AR's
thumbup1.gif

I am new to this forum and really dont know were to find the d-tech info can some one point me in th e right direction have soooooo much left over brass for both 223 and 243 wssm please point me the right way.

John

So how many rounds of 243WSSM does the mag hold.

Why not jump into the 25WSSM rather than the 243 WSSM - why did you select the one you chose? Glad to hear you have had a reliable upper - that does make them more interesting. Im not real fond of the weight of the 24 in DPMS .308 but the 16 in version is very nice. I've been curious about the Olympic Arms uppers but had not known anyown who had one so have wondered about function reliability and the mag issue.

Back